Wet wood core

SouthernWake

I pulled out my trolling motor plug to clean and update the wiring and noticed some wet wood around the hole. Its not a structural area and it has a thick skin on both sides so I’m. Im not worried about strength but am about it soaking in deeper.

Im thinking of digging out as much around the hole as possible with a screwdriver and shooting some expanding foam in there. Is this a bad idea or does anyone have another idea?

66E1AB65-D1D4-4381-806E-908C28EB96F1.jpeg

Been using this lately for bigger repair jobs instead of glassing. Good stuff, mix 50/50. Just remember it is epoxy so no polyester base fillers over top, I have had a few minor issues with gelcoat curing on it but for repairs that are not seen and out of site it is fine and drys white. Just used some yesterday, left it outside in the rain and it still cured hard as a rock this morning. Great working time too! 

https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-Two-Part-Marine-Adhesive/dp/B0711VD65H

55 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Been using this lately for bigger repair jobs instead of glassing. Good stuff, mix 50/50. Just remember it is epoxy so no polyester base fillers over top, I have had a few minor issues with gelcoat curing on it but for repairs that are not seen and out of site it is fine and drys white. Just used some yesterday, left it outside in the rain and it still cured hard as a rock this morning. Great working time too! 

https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-Two-Part-Marine-Adhesive/dp/B0711VD65H

Thank you! Have an off white color hull too so this might work for inevitable ding etc too.

this boat has been an ongoing project but it looks and functions night and day better since getting it already.

Agree stay away from foam. Especially foam in a can. The vast majority of them are  open cell foam and will *** up water like a sponge.  If you have  to use a foam be sure it is a closed cell foam.

Clean the area real good and use a thickened resin to fill it in.

Two tricks 1. Take an Allen wrench and put it in a drill. Place the angled end in between the layers of glass and it will make cleaning easy.

2. When filling the area between the layers of glass steal an icing bag from the wife with a large plain tip to make it easy to flow the thickened resin all the way in.

1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

2. When filling the area between the layers of glass steal an icing bag from the wife with a large plain tip to make it easy to flow the thickened resin all the way in.

If your not married, ^^^^^ I highly suggest you do not take mom's and if you are married........same suggestion! However smilemaker has a good point, you can also cut the corner off a ziplock bag or find empty caulking tubes (they sell them) and put a hose on the end. PC11 however is to thick and will not work in a caulking tube,  but the west system six/10 is already in a caulking tube and will work with a hose.

17 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

Thank you! Have an off white color hull too so this might work for inevitable ding etc too.

this boat has been an ongoing project but it looks and functions night and day better since getting it already.

Had a 1998 model 1800FF when I first moved to north Florida. I guess mine was Kevlar as I did not find any wood  around my trolling motor plug. I took it on as a project boat and did a lot of work on it. Boat worked well and only sold it to buy a bay boat with a higher gunnel for the granddaughters.

29 minutes ago, mdemott said:

Had a 1998 model 1800FF when I first moved to north Florida. I guess mine was Kevlar as I did not find any wood  around my trolling motor plug. I took it on as a project boat and did a lot of work on it. Boat worked well and only sold it to buy a bay boat with a higher gunnel for the granddaughters.

Good to hear, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the ride on it, gets shallow enough and can take a chop by tabbing the big bow down.

it may be an odd situation as this is a 2000 and after doing some installs and cutting on it everything else seems to be composite. Maybe this was a previous repair area somehow.

1 minute ago, SouthernWake said:

Good to hear, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the ride on it, gets shallow enough and can take a chop by tabbing the big bow down.

it may be an odd situation as this is a 2000 and after doing some installs and cutting on it everything else seems to be composite. Maybe this was a previous repair area somehow.

That could be. I have a lot of Oyster bars here and being new to the area I ran into my share of them . No leaks in the hull and just minor scrapes when I sold. Great little boat.

Archived