Culinary question

flatsdoctor

I have heard before that if properly and promptly vacuum-packed, fish will taste the same as fresh. 

I almost never freeze fresh beef and never freeze fresh caught fish. 

Usually I only bring home fish when I plan on eating it the same day or within 24 hrs of caught. 

Don't have any personal experience with the use of Vacuum packed fresh anything.

What are your comments on this matter ?

A good vacseal unit can really do the trick on keeping fish tastinf fresh after being frozen. 

The trick is to flash freeze the fish before sealing. I learned from a fish camp in AK to place filets in freezer unril they befin to freeze. Then place in the vacseal. This will help hold the moisture in the filets rather than pulling it out in the vacuum

I try and only eat fresh, but, have frozen in the vacum sealed bags....

What I found does work is to keep the fish super cold in a brine, filet, then put in a sealer system....then place in a large tray of ice in the back of the refrigerator....you can hold fish for two weekends this way, so long as they kept under an ice bath or in super cold water....

dc

Also, thaw is as slowly as you can. If you thaw it in the fridge there will be very little liquid in the bag. If you thaw on the counter or in water there will be a few tablespoons of liquid in the bag.  Apparently when you thaw quickly, more cells burst and release their contents. Alton Brown did a show on it with fish, beef and chicken. Makes a big difference 

Archived