Jump to content
RedfisherSHO

2000 hewes redfisher 16 repower with new sho115 . Prop help!

Recommended Posts

Doing a 2000 redfisher 16 repower with a Yamaha 115 sho vmax. Bobs 4”setback ultralight jack plate  ,-5 ‘ transom wedges . Wanna run the new mercury spitfire x7 4 blade just looking for some feedback / help on pitch . ?? I did some research saw some info about someone on here that has the newer Hull and read some stuff about my hull being a little diff / faster than the newer ones .my boat is not a lappy I think it was one of the first cad hulls made . Any help would be nice . Boats a work in progress but all the parts are all finally in and it’s nice and clean ready for new everything. Really excited to get out . It’s my first hewes boat and I chose to build one from a older to do everything how I want it with new power .. 

Thanks 

Evan 

0BD14549-98FE-4BC5-8861-06DA9D6444C2.jpeg

DA488259-971E-441C-8178-0AC80600A7E2.jpeg

40304673-2057-4F09-B933-A9A90B1D7C01.jpeg

BDA6FE29-CEF6-45DD-9756-20337824A36B.jpeg

441076E0-6B22-4DA7-8930-568C1350A7D4.jpeg

F5C0A4ED-CAA9-4188-90C7-841F5DE5D16E.jpeg

7564CB7D-7818-4F46-9EE4-F1208E1AD90A.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evan,
That's a great looking Redfisher 16.  I've got one too, with a 115 SHO.  You're going to love the new motor!  It's fast, quiet and odorless.  The two props that have worked best for me are the Merc SpitFire X7 17p and the Yamaha Talon SS 19p.  If you load the boat down with gear and people, the SpitFire X7 17p is the way to go, for hole shot, power and grip.  If you travel light and fish solo, the Talon SS 19p 3-blade is a fast and efficient option.  The 115 SHO runs best with a prop that can reach the upper limit of the maximum RPM range.  My props will run 6300 to 6400 RPM at WOT - 49 MPH with the SpitFire and 52 MPH with the Talon SS.  Hope this helps.

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Gary 

Ive read some of your previous post on your prop setups and pretty much had my mind set on the 17p. Gotta say thanks for all the helpful info you have out here , by comparing our setups I think it would be my best bet . I really just wanna hit the 50 mph mark and still be able to get up on plane quick when I wanna get out of the flats or shallow channels . Super pumped to get it on the water already but I’m still a few weeks away from that . It’s a work in progress but definitely getting there . Do you know if there is any difference from my hull to yours ? I’ve heard rumors the first cad hulls made after the lappys were faster boats and had less purposing issues etc . ?? I’m not sure what to beleave cause can’t really find much difference between the two besides the bigger center console and bench seat setup . Is there any major weight difference? 

 thanks for the knowledge. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We put the 115 SHO on the new Redfisher 18 we bought back in December. The shop let us try it with a 3-blade (don't remember which) and a PowerTech PTR4 (PTR4R16YM90) 4-blade.  The 3-blade topped us out at 53mph with everything set just right. 

The 4-blade dropped us to 48MPH, but with much better hole shots and planing at lots lower RPM. We do a whole lot of shallow fishing, so of course we went with the 4-blade at the cost of 5mph at the top end.

Dunno how our 18 compares to your 16, but I'd sure give thought to a 4-blade if your top speed is a little negotiable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RedfisherSHO said:

Thanks Gary 

Ive read some of your previous post on your prop setups and pretty much had my mind set on the 17p. Gotta say thanks for all the helpful info you have out here , by comparing our setups I think it would be my best bet . I really just wanna hit the 50 mph mark and still be able to get up on plane quick when I wanna get out of the flats or shallow channels . Super pumped to get it on the water already but I’m still a few weeks away from that . It’s a work in progress but definitely getting there . Do you know if there is any difference from my hull to yours ? I’ve heard rumors the first cad hulls made after the lappys were faster boats and had less purposing issues etc . ?? I’m not sure what to beleave cause can’t really find much difference between the two besides the bigger center console and bench seat setup . Is there any major weight difference? 

 thanks for the knowledge. 

 

Glad to help Evan.  I have also learned a lot from this forum.  There are many good folks here willing to share valuable experience and knowledge, which has definitely saved me time and money.

I'm pretty sure the hull mold is the same for our RF 16s.  I think there might be a difference in weight and the location of the fuel tank in the older models, which I have heard made the 2000-2003 models faster.  Another member on this forum (Lurem) did a lot of research on RF 16 performance, prop selection, weight/balance and porpoising issues.  He has a very fast 2007 RF 16 with a hopped-up Yamaha V4 115 (115 Ha!).  You might reach out to him as well.  He was very helpful when I was setting up my boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 8:08 AM, BrownBear said:

We put the 115 SHO on the new Redfisher 18 we bought back in December. The shop let us try it with a 3-blade (don't remember which) and a PowerTech PTR4 (PTR4R16YM90) 4-blade.  The 3-blade topped us out at 53mph with everything set just right. 

The 4-blade dropped us to 48MPH, but with much better hole shots and planing at lots lower RPM. We do a whole lot of shallow fishing, so of course we went with the 4-blade at the cost of 5mph at the top end.

Dunno how our 18 compares to your 16, but I'd sure give thought to a 4-blade if your top speed is a little negotiable.

Thanks for your input bud . Defenitly gonna go with a 4 blade since I fish skinny a lot but think I’m gonna do same thing as geeviam( have two props for different occasions ) . When I wanna go out the port and run the coast It’s be nice to get a few extra mph. Plus Everyone likes 😎speed I know it’s not a speed boat but wanna see what kind of speed I can get out it . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedfisherSHO said:

So what’s your guys input on the new Yamaha talon ss4 . Any info ? I’m tempted to try it

The Talon SS4 is at the top of my list of props to try. There's a member on this board with an HPX and 115 SHO who uses the SS4 and swears it's the best prop he's tried.  The 18 pitch would be my pick, if it's available.  That's the problem with Yamaha props.  They're almost always back-ordered for months on end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, lurem said:

This place shows them and when I added it to my cart it did not say they were on Back order. Talon ss4 18 pitch

Thanks Dale.  I want to add a word of caution to my thoughts on the Talon SS4 18 pitch... Dabear pointed out - it might be too tall for our Redfisher 16s if the boat is loaded with gear and passengers.  I think it could possibly be faster than the SpitFire X7 17 pitch on top end, but might not have the hole-shot or load carrying ability of the SpitFire X7 17p.  Just wanted to say that before anyone commits to buying a $500+ prop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, it says 13.13" width which I am guessing it diameter? Most we run except for the Mercury Spitfire are 13.25" or 13.5" diameter.

Does the Talon come ported? I remember you saying that your SHO did not like ports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, lurem said:

ok, it says 13.13" width which I am guessing it diameter? Most we run except for the Mercury Spitfire are 13.25" or 13.5" diameter.

Does the Talon come ported? I remember you saying that your SHO did not like ports.

My Talon SS 3-blade is the same diameter - 13.13", 19 pitch, with no ports, and it is a perfect match for the SHO.  That's why I thought the Talon SS4 4-blade with 1 pitch size less and no ports would be awesome as well.  My Talon SS 19p 3-blade will hit 6400 rpm when aired-out, so I thought I even have 100 rpm to spare that I might lose with the Talon SS4 18p.  But I have not tested it yet.  So I shouldn't put a definite stamp of approval on it yet either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 22, 2018 at 2:01 PM, lurem said:

This place shows them and when I added it to my cart it did not say they were on Back order. Talon ss4 18 pitch

Lurem, did they ship the SS Talon 4 blade yet?  Did you get your Merc . Spitefire back from the shop ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s a long shot but I’m gonna give it a try if I can get my hands on one .Dale ,  I checked the link above but only saw the 3 blade talon ss not the ss4 blade . I figure if it dosent suit my needs I’ll be able to sell it fast being that I can’t find it anywhere online and there’s a lot of people who wanna give it a try . Thanks again everyone for your input . Gary (geeviam) , you’ve got me pretty convinced it’s a good candidate for our boat . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evan,

You could try contacting this distributor for Yamaha OEM parts - their customer service is great:

https://www.simyamaha.com/

888-231-2392

Occasionally, a Yamaha dealer will sell on Ebay when they are overstocked.  Might be worth a little searching.  Good luck!

Gary

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RedfisherSHO , you may not be able to get your money back if your combination cant turn a 18 pitch 4 blade SS Talon and you need less pitch ,it may be very hard to sell a used almost new prop for close to the price that you pay for it . This may seem hard for you to believe but over many years of boating I have sold over 50 almost brand new props that I have bought new tested and it was not what I was looking for with performance changes I would do to to the hull and motors. I almost never get back half what I paid for them .  I have gave as many away as I have sold .It would be cool if you could try before you buy but that just doesnt happen very often .  I hope that you will be able to turn a 18 SS Talon 4 blade 6300 RPM on your 16 RF and if you cant I hope that your selling skills are way better than mine are . Joe R 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×