justdriftin

Cast Net Recommendation

I'm in need of a new cast net so figured I would get some opinions.  I've been throwing a 3/8 mesh 10 ft. Calusa for a long time now for whitebait.  I'm probably going to get a Tim Wade, but interested in suggestions on size.  This would be for whitebait in and around Charlotte Harbor/Lemon Bay area.  I'm not getting any younger so was thinking I might go down to a an 8 footer.  When bait gets thin, or I don't get out as early, throwing that 10 footer 15-20 times can start to wear on me.  What are you guys throwing in this area?

Barracuda nets have recently become a very popular brand in the Tampa area and around FL. I got one for xmas, only have used 2 or 3 times since, but Im very impressed with it. Its nice and soft outta the bucket and throws as well as any net. Seems to be built well and its the only net I've ever heard of with a warranty, if you rip it they will give you a new one for 1/2 price. You must register your new net.

• Like 1

I used to have a cracker 10’, 1/4” mesh.  I now have a Barracuda 10’ with 1/4” mesh and it is lighter.  Barracuda inshore net has 1.25lbs per foot, compared to Calusa/ Cracker that is 1.5lbs per foot.  I do like my Barracuda and the warranty.  I use the 1/4” mesh around Bokeelia to keep from gettin small bait Christmas treed in the net!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justdriftin said:

I'm in need of a new cast net so figured I would get some opinions.  I've been throwing a 3/8 mesh 10 ft. Calusa for a long time now for whitebait.  I'm probably going to get a Tim Wade, but interested in suggestions on size.  This would be for whitebait in and around Charlotte Harbor/Lemon Bay area.  I'm not getting any younger so was thinking I might go down to a an 8 footer.  When bait gets thin, or I don't get out as early, throwing that 10 footer 15-20 times can start to wear on me.  What are you guys throwing in this area?

Call Tim Wade and he will build a net to your tastes and fishing area.  I'm just a recreational angler.  I throw a 8' 1/4" mesh Tim Wade.

2 hours ago, hurricane said:

Barracuda nets have recently become a very popular brand in the Tampa area and around FL. I got one for xmas, only have used 2 or 3 times since, but Im very impressed with it. Its nice and soft outta the bucket and throws as well as any net. Seems to be built well and its the only net I've ever heard of with a warranty, if you rip it they will give you a new one for 1/2 price. You must register your new net.

What Hurricane said.

I have a 10 & 12' and they both have been superb. I really like the warranty because I throw a lot around bridges and have loss multiple nets in the past. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys, never heard of Baracuda but looks legit.  Think I'll go with Tim Wade though.  Anyone have current info for contacting him, what I found was a little old so thought i'd ask before calling.  Thanks!

I’ve got a Tim Wade 10’ net and it’s a great net, but the warranty on the Barracuda net is impressive and I’ll be trying their net soon. I spoke to a person at Barracuda and they informed me they also have a Guide Program.