Info on repowering a 98 Hewes LT

Praise Him

Need to repower my 98 Hewes LT 18’. Need some input on best motor match from those that have repowered. Currently have a carbed 150 vmax. Want a 4 stroke but the weight and performance are concerning me. Yamaha, Suzuki or Mercury???

Also does anyone know why the same year and length of the Mav Master Angler allows a 175 but the Hewes a 150???

I have the same boat, 2000 model, with a 130 Yamaha. It's a good fit, but I sometimes wish I had a 150. Have you thought about another 2-stroke 150 or rebuilding yours? Maybe a Matt Conrad special?  I love the specs of the new Yamaha VMax SHO but adding $15,000 to an 18 year old boat does not make much sense to me. I can buy a LOT of gas for the difference! Would love to hear how your quest goes. 

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:20 AM, Drummer said:

I have the same boat, 2000 model, with a 130 Yamaha. It's a good fit, but I sometimes wish I had a 150. Have you thought about another 2-stroke 150 or rebuilding yours? Maybe a Matt Conrad special?  I love the specs of the new Yamaha VMax SHO but adding $15,000 to an 18 year old boat does not make much sense to me. I can buy a LOT of gas for the difference! Would love to hear how your quest goes. 

I agree.  Unless you plan on keeping the boat for a very very long time the math doesn't work.  I would look for a used ox66 or 2.6L HPDI.  I also wouldn't spend $5,500 for a powerhead.

If you are dead set on a four stroke you need to consider the cost of re-rigging if you change manufacturers.  If you stay Yamaha your binnacle will work.  Suzuki seems to have the best price point but you will need to re-rig.  Also don't forget Etec... best power to weight ratio in its class.  Good luck!  

I have a 20 LT 1998 with a new 150 Yamaha 4 stroke.  The weight of a new 150 is only slightly more meaning about 40 lbs.  When you remove the oil tank in the rear the difference is nothing  to think  about. I love the set up and will use it for yrs to come.

...98 Hewes LT 18’....

Dunno how that compares to our 2017 Redfisher 18, but we got ours with the 115 Vmax SHO and 4-blade SS prop. Rode in the same boat with a 150 VMax SHO, and didn't like it much. One ride with the 115 was enough for us to reach for our wallets.  Great hole shots and acceleration with not much loss of top end.  Got to try the 115 with both 3-blade and 4-blade, and it was an easy choice.  The Redfisher stays on plane at lower RPMs with the 4 than the 3, too. 

If you gotta go new, don't write off the 115 SHO until you've had a chance to ride one in a comparable boat to yours.

On 5/8/2018 at 6:20 AM, Drummer said:

I have the same boat, 2000 model, with a 130 Yamaha...

I too have a 2000 model with a 130 Yamaha 2 stroke.. bullet proof motor!!  In my opinion, it is the perfect match.  That motor weighs 377 lbs and if I had to repower tomorrow I would purchase either the new Yamaha 115 SHO 4 stroke or standard F115 4 stroke  because they are both now the same exact weight ... Yamaha managed to lighten the load from previous 4 stroke models!!  I know this is a decrease in HP compared to your 150 but it will also decrease in weight (V6 to in-line 4) and draft !!  I don't believe you will be disapointed with the performance of the much lighter 115 SHO.  And like you said, if you love the boat then she's a keeper!!

To further the comparisons with 2vs4 strokes ,my 150 4 stroke gets 50% better mpgs at cruising speed.  One additional point is with my 150 I cruise at 4000 rpms and I am doing 35+ mph. I don't like being at close to WOT for a long period of time.  Try each motor size out if you can.  It is tough getting comparable motors and boats I'm afraid. Do you know the weight difference between the 18 and 20 LT?  I was discouraged from going with the 115 on my 20FT from the folks at Hewes.,but there is probably a weight concern difference.

Archived