Lowery Park Ramp

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, Capt. Troy said:

Just relaying what was told to me! I have lived here for 58 years. I am steps away of Pasco county now. Been moving north. Went to Carrolwood elementary school but came from the west side of the tracks ." Dale Mabry" Yep, Citrus Park/trailer park.

I will talk to a few folks in law enforcement that are my neighbors when I see them. They live close by for a reason. To escape the inner city BS.

There is no safe place any more. The area I speak of is no different than many. I have taken and was taken to that zoo and park "safety village" for many years growing up. You got to pick and choose where you go in any city after the sun goes down. Lowery Park is in close proximity to bad parts of the hood.

This is a heads up. Gandy is not safe, the Courtney Cambell "Santeria chicken feet" is not safe and many others. When your alone launching a boat, leaving you truck running with the doors open during that process, walking across a parking lot and so on you become a very easy target. At the wee hours I have seen some very crazy activity all around my area at boat ramps.

There is a big difference at these parks and ramps when they are active with lot's of folks hanging around. The idiots during the day scare the criminals off.

I keep my carry weapon in my pocket every morning ready with no holster at the ramp. The reality is I would never even think to do so as I have more fear of them breaking in my truck and stealing my left behind gun while I'm on the water. That fear may prove to be a huge disadvantage to thugs like the ones that got my buddy. ;)

Just curious, Capt. Troy.  What is you "pocket carry" of choice?

About 10 years ago my truck was broken into at Gandy.  And man they hit me HARD!  Punched out both driver and passenger side lock cores (which makes me think it was two people acting like they were entering their own truck - maybe a "practice" they had refined).  Stole:  Citizens dive watch, Garmin handheld GPS, work briefcase - that was the killer, clothes, radar detector, big swiss army knife, all the change from my ashtray, etc.... which suggests they were in my truck for a pretty long time.  There are three different forms of law enforcement at that ramp but zero presence of any live officers.  I haven't had any trouble since then but I continue to hear horror stories like Troy's buddy every year, with more frequency.  It ***. I live in Temple Terrace/USF area and the crime rate is through the roof.  Has been for a very long time.  Not at all surprised about gang presence at Lowery.

Growing up in Tarpon Springs in the 70s and 80s me and my buddies launched primarily at two ramps:  Anclote River Park and Sunset Beach.  NEVER any trouble. Can't recall a single bad incident.  Makes me want to go off the grid...

Let's see if I have this right? Most people who have boats, along with the truck and trailer to tow and launch them, probably have worked hard to EARN the money to purchase those in order to enjoy their fishing/boating passion. Then a low life who probably has no job, looking for merchandise to steal so they can purchase drugs, maybe not even an American citizen, etc. etc., can casually go to a public owned boat ramp and commit these crimes knowing the odds are "The Law" won't be there to stop them. Years ago I never thought about having to "carry" to launch my boat and protect myself and my belongings. It's gone just crazy.......  

It's been my experience that the vermin who only come out at night are usually in a substance-induced coma by 4AM. You are probably safe to launch at dawn almost anywhere. The late evening returns are when you need to be heads-up, as that's when they are getting loaded or searching for funds in order to.

22 hours ago, JEM said:

Just curious, Capt. Troy.  What is you "pocket carry" of choice?

I carry a Ruger LC 9 with built in laser. Have practiced with the laser site enough I can group tight at 10 feet shooting off handed. I figure 10 feet as the max and more chances than not it will be a lot closer than that and probably not taking a stance and aiming.

The gun has a small profile as a lot of time I am just wearing shorts and t-shirt and it is easy to carry and has a safety which I prefer with a non holstered gun in my pocket close to my privates.:D Practice and muscle memory is very important with a gun with a safety.

I also place the gun and wallet in a waterproof/vapor proof boat bag when I get on the boat. It's like a large industrial zip lock. Helps keep down on the cleaning cycles.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Troy. 

Jackings, break-ins, theft and misc other crimes are very common at ramps in Miami-Dade and Broward counties. It's gotten so bad in south FL that these type of crimes rarely make the news anymore. It's becoming the norm.

I prefer the Ruger LCR 38spl for my pocket carry.....no jam, no safety, no clicker and no games!! 

Interesting on the choices.  I know I need an upgrade.  I carry around a little 25 caliber Beretta Jetfire.   It is not much bigger or heftier than a set of keys in your pocket!    I doubt I would scare anybody very much!  LOL   I guess it makes me feel good, tho!

My pocket 380 was normally my distraction tool. I kept it in a pocket holster in my front right pocket. That way if I needed a gun as my hand came out of pocket I had one. Since then my wife has taken possession of it. But a 380 is about as small as I'll go for personal defense in an automatic. I need to find a pocket holster for my 38.  Nothing beats a wheel gun for an up close contact shot. 

Be aware is all I can say.

Try your best to never use the weapon of your choice!

I never have, but had an employee that did. It was a life changing event for him in a self defense situation. It ruined his life per say as no charges were filed and he shot the perp with the perps gun after he took it from him.

I have been a States witness to a murder with gun fire involved with bullets flying. You never ever want to be there. The shooter took almost 15 years to meet Sparky after multiple appeals and such and I'm glad he is toast.

When a 45 goes off *** near on top of you it will get your attention.

TRY YOU BEST TO AVOID BAD AREAS AND THUS THE REASON OF THIS POST I STARTED.

My buddy as posted above was stupid for being there when he was, He knew better, but the female attraction clouded his common sense.

Excellent points above, discretion is always better.  Just like not escalating road rage. But while I hope for the best I do try to prepare for the worst. And in 2018 that means I carry a flashlight,  tourniquet and other items. A flashlight can help identify a target or discourage someone and the first aid supplies are for if all else fails. But the above conversation has made me reevaluate my launch and recovery procedures, and that alone might make me a less desirable target for a bad guy. So Captain Troy thank you for bringing this to our attention

2 hours ago, localangler said:

Excellent points above, discretion is always better.  Just like not escalating road rage. But while I hope for the best I do try to prepare for the worst. And in 2018 that means I carry a flashlight,  tourniquet and other items. A flashlight can help identify a target or discourage someone and the first aid supplies are for if all else fails. But the above conversation has made me reevaluate my launch and recovery procedures, and that alone might make me a less desirable target for a bad guy. So Captain Troy thank you for bringing this to our attention

Well put. A friend and I spoke about this yesterday and we both agree that we now have and will change our thought process when going alone. Disappointing we keep having to say " that's the world we live in". 

Archived