Livewell bubbler/aerator question

Nick2400TRS

I have a Pathfinder 2400 and it’s prewired for a bubbler but wasn’t factory installed.  I have 3 wells and am looking to add a bubbler/aerator if necessary.  I fish with mullet or pilchards mainly but on occasion shrimp and even keep bass alive for a tournament.  Any recommendations on what you guys are using would be great.  Thanks 

With raw water pumps seldom would there ever be a need for a bubbler. They usually supply very little dissolved oxygen to the water and foam in the water is not good for pilchards. Fish don't breath air. They extract oxygen form the water. Foam or bubbles on their gill is suffocating them.

My .02.

3 hours ago, gambler1 said:

I just turn my livewell fill  pump on and let the overflow work. Always fresh water coming in .

Never thought of that...thanks

8 hours ago, dcathey said:

I’d like to add one to my front well for transporting shrimp when trailering but I doubt you need it on rear well for reasons mentioned above

I may do that also, that’s one of the options I was considering 

It all depends what kind of bait.  Trying to keep shrimp alive in hot summer water is just about impossible with just raw water flow.  I added a recirculating pump that draws in air to the water before it pumps it back into the live well.  I still might lose a few shrimp, but it’s not a “mass die off” like it was without the recirc/air pump!:D

We all have our preference but I do not like to recirculate the water by spraying it on the top. This creates foam and the pounding stresses the bait. Pumps add heat as water constantly moves through without exchange. 

Adding a bubbler is easy to do. Go to big box store and get a female  and a male 3/8 brass barbed ferrele fitting that will fit fish tank hose.  Up high near the fitting for the outflow drill a hole that fits the male fitting. The hex part will stop it from going through. From the other side screw on the female fitting. You may need to clean off some foam insulation. Now you have a barbed fitting on both sides of the livewell. Buy a 12 volt air pump from bass pro usually $50.  Mount and wire to a switch.

now go to pet store and get some hose. The air stone needs to be a LARGE flat circular stone. Most air pumps will have 2 hoses. You can use a Y to have one stone or add another barb to use  two stones.

this will airate  the tank with minimal amp draw.

an alternative is to have the return go down into the water with a Venturi hose that will produce a bubbling  flow of moving water. This can be made or a commercial one bought.

• 2 weeks later...

The bubblers are great for mud minnows, shrimp and keeping fish tad healthy on redfish tourney days. I run a pair of these with one for each well. Cut the clips off and direct wire. Good flow, low current and fairly light weight. Someone mentioned the flat stones but the ones I tried floated. These by MM are weighted. https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12053_-1?campID=1331689198&groupID=56174865594&device=c&productID=006400436&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-MyYrZaT2wIVCv5kCh16iwAPEAQYASABEgI8ePD_BwE

Archived