01 maverick ma 21 livewell issues

castafly

Hey folks. I have an 01 master angler 21. I just had all 3 livewell pumps, shut off valves and hoses replaced. Pretty much identical to the original setup. The pumps are rule - 800 gph. I noticed that the inline filter/basket was not filling up with water and that the water pressure flow in all 3 of the livewells were about 1/4 of what it should be when I tested it out. Filters are facing down. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this system and has had similar issues. 

Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

The strainers should be slightly slanted down from horizontal. In other words, the clear plastic bowl should be about 30 to 45 degrees down-hill. This angle will allow water to fill the bowl and force air out through the pump.

If your plumbing, strainer and pump are stacked vertical, the pump may be too high above the water line to achieve a prime. My boat came from the factory with the pump in the vertical position and worked just fine, but I added a strainer, which increased the height of the pump, and then I had problems getting a prime. I added a 90 degree elbow to the shutoff valve, which allowed my to lay the strainer and pump down in a horizontal position, below the waterline. Never had any more problems with the pump priming.

Archived