2002 2200V Port Rod storage?

DAME TU LONCHE

2 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

Fixing the port locker to hold rods would be pretty easy but I find that rods get beat up in the rod locker.

Hmm.  I have found just the opposite with my rods.  I have Shimano reel covers on all my spinning and baitcasting reels to keep them from getting scruffed up.   It keeps them looking new.  Before I had a boat with a rod locker, it seemed like I broke about one rod a year, just from getting banged around in the truck.  Since I have been keeping them in the locked rod locker for the past two years, no broke or scruffed up rods and reels! :D   

The starboard hatch is dedicated to rod storage with round cutouts in the forward and rear panels where the rod tips and rod handles are inserted in.  The rods then are separated from each other so they are not "frammin" each other.  The reels can and do lay on each other, but they are protected with Shimano neoprene reel covers (well worth the little bit of money, IMHO), so no harm, no foul!   

For me, the main sources of damaged or broken rods has been during transport off the boat and mishandling while on the boat.  One of my pet peeves is when I take  inexperienced people fishing and invariably, if they go to bait a hook or tie a knot, they lay the rod down or lean it somewhere.  My opinion is if the rod is not in your hand, it should be in a vertical rod holder.   I have plenty of rod holders (16) around the boat so there is no excuse for laying a rod on the deck.......where it can be stepped on!

Agree with JEM, rod not in your hand goes in a rod holder. I keep 10 rods in the rod lockers. Each side has 4 in the racks and 1 laying on the bottom. The lockers have Dri-dek on the bottom. Boat is a TRS so it has no tubes so I use Rod Sox and they work great. Keep things from tangleing and offer protection in the locker and transporting off the boat. I would think MBG would sell you the racks. Back when I ordered my boat I got them put in both lockers.

3 hours ago, JEM said:

The starboard hatch is dedicated to rod storage with round cutouts in the forward and rear panels where the rod tips and rod handles are inserted in.  The rods then are separated from each other so they are not "frammin" each other.  The reels can and do lay on each other, but they are protected with Shimano neoprene reel covers (well worth the little bit of money, IMHO), so no harm, no foul!   

For me, the main sources of damaged or broken rods has been during transport off the boat and mishandling while on the boat.  One of my pet peeves is when I take  inexperienced people fishing and invariably, if they go to bait a hook or tie a knot, they lay the rod down or lean it somewhere.  My opinion is if the rod is not in your hand, it should be in a vertical rod holder.   I have plenty of rod holders (16) around the boat so there is no excuse for laying a rod on the deck.......where it can be stepped on!

Normally...if JEM's rods were getting damaged,, it would be after he and his crew had consumed several "Scrap Irons" ....from Freeport Marina bar and restaurant....I have fished with him several times and nothing , and I mean nothing is ever out of place while we are fishing. There is no man more organized with the boat contents than him. 

But...he is a great fisherman and friend...so, I'll continue to fish with him and probably consume a few Scrap Irons afterwards. Below is me and another friend who visited JEM's favorite hangout after a day on the water. 

IMG_1128.jpeg

3 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

Normally...if JEM's rods were getting damaged,, it would be after he and his crew had consumed several "Scrap Irons" ....from Freeport Marina bar and restaurant....I have fished with him several times and nothing , and I mean nothing is ever out of place while we are fishing. There is no man more organized with the boat contents than him. 

But...he is a great fisherman and friend...so, I'll continue to fish with him and probably consume a few Scrap Irons afterwards. Below is me and another friend who visited JEM's favorite hangout after a day on the water. 

IMG_1128.jpeg

Haha!  I run a tight ship!!!!!  Violate the rules and you are instantly keel hauled!!!!!;)

Racks just take up valuable space.  Use rod socks and reel covers to maximize your compartments. I have a 2016 2200 TRS and my starboard compartment rod racks are used for gaffs, anchor light, and vhf antenna only. I have been able to fit 4 6500 size spinning outfits along with 5 live bait trolling outfits in that compartment with gaffs and antenna for safe travel no problem. 

Archived