HPX OWNERS HELP

bcastleb

Hey guys I’ve got another question about trolling motor options.  I’ve got a 2008 Maverick HPX-T 17ft and I can’t seem to find a good place for 3 batteries for a 24volt system, I can fit 2 under the console.  I looked into smaller batteries but with that I won’t have as much power or won’t last as long.  I’m definitely not ready to spend the big bucks for Lithium batteries yet either. So I’m hoping someone with the same setup or similar can tell me how well a 12volt system works.  I fish the flats in the big bend area and creeks.  Thanks for any help.

I used 12 volt trolling motors for 15 years on my 2001 HPX T. Never ran out of juice using a D31 Optima agm battery. But then I don't fish passes and try to hold it in heavy currents. I think it mostly depends on how you fish. I fish a lot of back country and flats in Pine Island Sound area. 55 lb thrust Minn Kota's worked fine for me. I have a new HPX S, also with 12V MK. I'm happy with that setup.

I am not sure how your boat came from the factory but I am assuming that the shelf was put in afterwards. How is it attached? Could you remove it easily to see what is underneath it? My boat came with no shelf and has a battery tray mounted on the bottom of the hatch (18hpxv). Once that shelf is removed perhaps you would have enough room to mount the starting battery and have a small bucket for your anchor.

I have the same set up, which other than the mediocre rigging is the dumbest thing Maverick did during these years (mine is a 2010) putting these boats together. I say that because the PVC board is glued to the top of the gas tank with a product called Weld-on... It's not coming off. The front is bolted to a L bracket that is bolted to a rib towards the front of the bow. My shelf has cracked, side to side, and is buckled so the the only thing I can store up there is very light things. 

My next project is to cut the shelf off flush with the front if the tank and then build a small shelf (big enough for two TM batteries) as far down and forward into the "V" as possible. Which to Mavericks credit is what they do now. 

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Headhunter said:

I have 3 AGMs in the console and charger. Never had an issue with running out of power. I posted some pictures a while ago on here but just deleted the pictures off my phone. I think you can look up history on my posts. Good luck!

This is probably Headhunters pic thread if it helps....

Yeah, I saw that thread.  My console is smaller, I don't know if all HPX-T 17 are smaller but I've tried to figure every which way and there isn't but a couple of things that'll work. One being a lithium battery and I'm not ready to drop that much $$$. I looked at getting a smaller cranking battery but not sure if the amps would be enough, can't find one that measures up to what Yamaha suggests.  I'm going with a 12v off of a transom mount, actually a deck mounted bracket, the plate was already there. Going to see how this works first.

Archived