2000 Hewes Lappy 18' Redfisher

tobyport

I've owned a Hewes before, but always wanted a Lappy. Serial Number indicates this was the 4th Redfisher built in 2000, suggesting that this would be towards the end of the Lappy run. This hull is made with Kevlar. This boat started out in the Keys and the second owner used it in Mobile, Alabama area. I purchased the boat in January 2013 and have commence a "4-stroke refresh." I hope that you enjoy the progress and I welcome in comments! I will continue to add to the Photobucket link below. Photos are arranged where most current photos show up at top of the page.

http://s720.beta.photobucket.com/user/tobyport/library/HewesLappy

1363299906-Image.jpg.c9a6bace6b025d6a993

Hey Tobyport, wanted to start by saying sweet boat. Its looking good.

I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help me with.

I noticed you re-did the holes where your poling platform moutns to the stern. What did you use to fill them and remount it? The top two screws on mine are somewhat loose on the bottom mounts.

Also where you replaced the carpet on the gunnels, is that the Sea Deck pads you put on there?

Thanks

scastillo813--I'm having a new poling platform built, designed where the feet will be all on deck...so we filled the holes with a gl***/epoxy filler with intentions of painting over them. I didn't do the work myself, but I can find out exactly what was used if that helps.

SeaDeck from Tyler at CastawayCustoms.com

New photos later this week...

• 1 month later...

Photos are updated in his photobucket link

Very nice platform. I like the mounting design.. wonder if that shifts any weight forward? Oh and the new big 4 stroke on there nice too

Lots of photos about fuel tank. What did you do there? (or did I miss discussion?)

I'm thinking about replacing the tank with an aluminum on. Can someone tell me if this tank was installed before or after the deck was installed. What should specifications be for an aluminum tank? Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. [color:brown][/color]

• 1 year later...

Really cool upgrades on that cl***ic hull. I like that poling platform a lot and the lights.

I have one question about the cockpit drains and where you found these. I am trying to get something like this for my LT 20. Any help would be appreciated.

Again sweet looking boat.

We actually went to a larger diameter br*** tube, I think 1". We weren't sure if there was a leak, sort of suspected one based on other comments on the forum and when we removed the old ones we did in fact find a leak (beware!). My tech had a tool that he used to create the new lip on the tubing. I know it was hard to find a stock size, but he did source it locally I believe. Not sure this helps, but I can ask him for more information if you would like.

Thank you for your kind comments, the boat is a lot of fun!

Archived