Prophylactic Fuel Tank Removal-MA17

Wanaflatsfish

My MA17 is a 1995 with the original tank.  This gives it 23 + years.

It's a TNT original - 27 gallons.

At this time no issues or even gas fumes...however, I know from others experience have indicated that a normal tank will only last about 20 years.

So, this November once the fishing slows down.....I'm considering removing the tank and doing an install.

Current plans are:

1.) My buddy and I will remove the center console and cut out the floor and remove the tank, he has fiberglass experience and will re-attach the deck afterwards.

2.) Ralph @ AIM will build the tank

3.) Most likely will then have Bob @ Inshore Marine sea-deck the inner deck to cover any repair marks and replace the side carpet.

QUESTION FOR FORUM MEMBERS...

1.) any one complete this work and kept pics of the work in progress - especially on a MA 17

Please post or refer would be useful.

dc

5 hours ago, conocean said:

Good idea, Dino. Replace that sucker! 

But I hope fishing won’t slow down in November. If its anything like last fall & winter then you’ll wish you did the tank replacement in Aug. I hardly ever fish the ENP that month, for a reason 😉 

Yep, August is probably a better date...didn't think of that one....

DonH.....let's get er done !!!

dc

59 minutes ago, FLDXT said:

Document, my 99 is due. Fixing to start a thread on my experience today. 27 gallons? Are you sure? Mine has a 42 and I'm thinking of scaling that way back when I replace.

Yep, I measured mine...there was some "confusion back in the old days"....some had the 42, others the 27....I got the 27....will probably go with a 35 to give me an additional 25 miles of safety range....right now, I'm hitting 3,0- 3.5 MPG on the 115 two stroke...so, on the 27, I rarely go over 20 gallons = 70 miles...I'd like to have 100 miles range to go the rogers and harney rivers from either Flamingo or Chokoloskee..and I need the 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 safety rule....

35 will be just right....

dc

8 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Yep, I measured mine...there was some "confusion back in the old days"....some had the 42, others the 27....I got the 27....will probably go with a 35 to give me an additional 25 miles of safety range....right now, I'm hitting 3,0- 3.5 MPG on the 115 two stroke...so, on the 27, I rarely go over 20 gallons = 70 miles...I'd like to have 100 miles range to go the rogers and harney rivers from either Flamingo or Chokoloskee..and I need the 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 safety rule....

35 will be just right....

dc

I'm thinking to go around 30, that would be pretty close to 100 miles for me, I trailer and fill up regularly and have short runs, I could do without the weight.

9 minutes ago, FLDXT said:

'm thinking to go around 30, that would be pretty close to 100 miles for me, I trailer and fill up regularly and have short runs, I could do without the weight.

yep, I could go 30-32 as well.....I'll need see what fits.....the 27 is just a little too close for most of my day runs....it's right at 60 miles to Lostmans and back and the Rogers is about another 7 miles each way...so, 72-75 miles could be a days run...I don't like cutting it too close...especially if the weather goes bad and I have to run the back...which is another 10 or so.

dc

dc

14 hours ago, FLDXT said:

Document, my 99 is due. Fixing to start a thread on my experience today. 27 gallons? Are you sure? Mine has a 42 and I'm thinking of scaling that way back when I replace.

My 1995 17MA TNT aluminum tank stated 42 gallon capacity but I could never pump 30 gallons into it from dead empty. I even had the tank drained completely to make sure. It was the only thing I disliked about my MA.

7 minutes ago, conocean said:

My 1995 17MA TNT aluminum tank stated 42 gallon capacity but I could never pump 30 gallons into it from dead empty. I even had the tank drained completely to make sure. It was the only thing I disliked about my MA.

Interesting, most I've put in is 22 gallons, but I try to keep it full to reduce condensate. Just ordered a pump, filters and hose to pump it out, so I'll guess I see.

I uncovered that TNT had a major mislabeling issue in the 90's and they wouldn't make good on their mistake. Probably hundreds of tanks were mislabeled. So they charged many boat manufacturers more for tanks that held much less than their stated capacity. I purchased my 17MA secondhand when it was 11 years old so I didn't have any ground to stand on in regards to asking for a replacement tank. 

4 minutes ago, conocean said:

I uncovered that TNT had a major mislabeling issue in the 90's and they wouldn't make good on their mistake. Probably hundreds of tanks were mislabeled. So they charged many boat manufacturers more for tanks that held much less than their stated capacity. I purchased my 17MA secondhand when it was 11 years old so I didn't have any ground to stand on in regards to asking for a replacement tank. 

Ralph will do mine.....so, I'm sure I'll get exactly what I need....will be fun to see if I can get an extra 5 gallons in the same location or maybe it could be a bit longer...we'll find out when we get in there.......waiting for August :)

dc

Archived