Trolling motor question

bcastleb

Just purchased my new to me 2008 17 HPX-T,  it doesn’t currently have a trolling motor.  Trying to figure out how and where to mount batteries.  I read a similar post on here about where to mount them, but anyway my question is if there is anyone with one, is it a 12 or 24 volt?  Judging on how small the boat is I was curious if a 12v would be enough.  

I would go the other way. Had 12volt, 55# on the micro and it worked fine but I don't fish in high current areas. I have a 24 volt, 84# on the HPXS and you can water ski behind the boat if you want. These boats are so light, it doesn't take a lot to move them and finding room for the third battery is a challenge.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks guys,  I feel the same way about making sure I have enough.  I've got to figure out battery placement, but I think the 24v will be worth it. I saw another post where someone put all 3 of their batteries under the console, but there's no way they'll fit under mine.  I'm going to have to put them in another compartment. or put them under the console and move my cranking battery.  Anyway thanks for the advice.

3 hours ago, bcastleb said:

I'm going to have to put them in another compartment. or put them under the console and move my cranking battery

Check the lifeline smaller battery.....it has plenty of starting power and is about 1/2 the size of an odyssey....Capt DonH had one...worked great....if you get in a jam and have the 24 v you should tie it into the 1/2 all switch and no issues...you should also tie in your electronics into a seperate "bus" and this way the starting battery is only for cranking....one of the trolling motor batteries can run your house stuff - GPS, live well, trim tabs, etc.  easy peasy to change it out.

dc

Ouch! That's high, I think I'm going to try the Blue top Optimas.  I'm going to try and mount my two trolling motor batteries under my console and move my cranking battery.  The problem is where am I going to put it.  I have a back compartment but I don't want to drill into the floor.  There is a dry storage area under my seat but it doesn't feel sturdy enough to hold a battery good. 

7 hours ago, bcastleb said:

Ouch! That's high, I think I'm going to try the Blue top Optimas.  I'm going to try and mount my two trolling motor batteries under my console and move my cranking battery.  The problem is where am I going to put it.  I have a back compartment but I don't want to drill into the floor.  There is a dry storage area under my seat but it doesn't feel sturdy enough to hold a battery good. 

Lithium batteries are highly priced but it is $ well spent. A 24 volt battery only weighs 30LBS! Your boat will drive faster, float skinnier, plane faster, pole easier, and get better gas mileage. 

@bcastleb I recently fought the same battle.  I'm running a 2010 18 HPX-V that originally had a 12v trolling motor (both batteries were in the console).

I recently upgraded to a 24v system (I personally feel that 12v is not nearly enough when it comes to strong tides and beach front fishing--regardless of which Maverick model you're running).  In order to convert to a 24v trolling motor, I knew I needed both TM batteries in the front compartment (I've got a 150 on the back).  My front console did not come finished from Maverick, so I had to add a fiberglass shelf in front of my gas tank to mount the batteries.  Now I've got two Optima Bluetop D34Ms up front, with another D34M as my cranking battery in the center console.

I also added a large casting platform, which meant I needed to change the mount location for the trolling motor (plus I was sick of fly line getting tangled with the TM at the front of the bow).  I used a piece of 12x27" starboard that I cut diagonally (15" at the top and 12" at the bottom),  then flipped the starboard to form a double sided (1" thick) mount for my quick release.  This was the most cost effective way to make sure the TM can deploy/operate with clearance but also ensure it's securely mounted to the bow.  The motor also sits aft of the casting platform which really helps line management/reduces tangles.  

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

On 4/25/2018 at 5:54 AM, jason p said:

... but you won't be able to afford gasxD.  On a serious note if you do decide to go AGM's, I have 2 Odyssey PC1500's in my boat that are almost 12 years old.  the first 5 years of their life was spent on a bass boat and then I got them.

I hear ya! If you dont have the $ then you dont have the $. If you DO have the $ then upgrading to lithium batteries is the best upgrade you can do IMO! We use our batteries around 8 - 10 hours (running trolling motor) for every 1 hour we put on our outboards! Also considering the weight savings your battery upgrade will affect the performance of the boat every minute you are on it. If you really think about it this is one of the few upgrades that will literally affect the boat literally every second you are on it. People only use a powerpole a couple of times on every trip yet gladly drop 2K on that - or even another 2K on a 2nd one! Lithium batteries may not be a sexy upgrade but they will change your life and I guarantee you will thank me later!

1 hour ago, RedfishRippn said:

I hear ya! If you dont have the $ then you dont have the $. If you DO have the $ then upgrading to lithium batteries is the best upgrade you can do IMO! We use our batteries around 8 - 10 hours (running trolling motor) for every 1 hour we put on our outboards! Also considering the weight savings your battery upgrade will affect the performance of the boat every minute you are on it. If you really think about it this is one of the few upgrades that will literally affect the boat literally every second you are on it. People only use a powerpole a couple of times on every trip yet gladly drop 2K on that - or even another 2K on a 2nd one! Lithium batteries may not be a sexy upgrade but they will change your life and I guarantee you will thank me later!

How long have you had your lithium battery? Have you had to replace it yet?

My Tournament partner has been running them for about 2 years now and has never had an issue. I initially refused to buy one because of cost but became so impressed after seeing his set up I just had to have one. I had budgeted for either a second power pole or a lithium battery this year and decided that dollar for dollar the battery would be a better investment that would have a greater positive effect on my fishing. A lot of the bassmaster tour pros use them and I know Ott Defoe has been on the same set for several seasons now. He was saying that he used to kill his standard batteries after every season but with lithium pros he has been able to use the same batteries for several seasons (check out he youtube video).

Archived