Ron in Atlanta

Central Florida Trip With A Quick Stop At MBC

I don't know how you get those shots.. Just amazing clarity and color..

I drove to Naples last weekend, and I saw 5 Snail Kites along Alligator Alley working the canal edge. Just one male.. I was glad to see them all, as they have it rough with water quality.

No Swallow Tailed Kites tho..

Thanks again, Ron !

Marc

11 hours ago, Moderator said:

I don't know how you get those shots.. Just amazing clarity and color..

I drove to Naples last weekend, and I saw 5 Snail Kites along Alligator Alley working the canal edge. Just one male.. I was glad to see them all, as they have it rough with water quality.

No Swallow Tailed Kites tho..

Thanks again, Ron !

Marc

11 hours ago, bernieNC said:

What did the rigging tube issue end up being?

The Snail Kites are doing OK.  They had problems a few years ago, their food supply, the Apple Snails were disappearing being replaced by an invasive species snail, the Island Apple Snail.  The Island Apple Snail is much larger than the native Apple Snail and the Snail Kites have learned to eat them, successive generations even developed a longer beak to extract the larger snail from its shell.  They have also moved north from the Everglades to where these new snails have invaded the wetlands.  Lake Tohopekaliga and Lake Kissemmi are seeing growing populations.  You are right also about the water quality and human activities having a negative effect on these birds.

We did see a dozen or so Swallow Tail Kites scattered throughout our trip, from Florida Bay to Blue Cypress Lake to above the Fla Turnpike.

5adbeb0e7a2fe_SwallowTail-2.thumb.jpg.aa0d177d102fe38adb535bbd80c0624a.jpg

5adbeb14387fe_SwallowTail-7.thumb.jpg.ff915c1b2ded5c8795ae0286f5c154b6.jpg

5adbeaff703ac_SwallowTail-11.thumb.jpg.75e012f0cfc789fc3329d66cccdc48af.jpg

The rigging tube was declared too long and replaced with a new, shorter rigging tube.  Truthfully, it looks like the splash well is just not big enough, fore and aft, for the tube to fit when the engine is tilted all the way up but that is a much bigger fix:).  They also cut some holes and installed short tubes to allow stubborn areas of the bilge to drain into the main bilge.

Thanks for your interest guys.

WOW, great pictures! The Little Blue and the Green Heron were really nice, really nice! There are a couple Green Herons that seem to like my boat lift and they are just amazing when the sun reflects off their backs and they stretch their necks out as shown in your photo. Thanks Ron!!!

Ron

I’ve spent a lot of time in Lake Wales. It was kind of a second home for a while. Very familiar with K River Park. We stay on Tiger Lake at Bud’s RV Park. Great Park with Great people. After many years we finally learned how to fish Tiger. We always ran to The big lake thru Tiger Creek and would blow by the canal to KRPark. Lots of birds in the Creek. Even more in the creek from Rosalie to Tiger. Very shallow in spots but we made it all the way thru that creek in the 2000v. 

If you ever want to fish Tiger I can help

9 hours ago, DonV said:

WOW, great pictures! The Little Blue and the Green Heron were really nice, really nice! There are a couple Green Herons that seem to like my boat lift and they are just amazing when the sun reflects off their backs and they stretch their necks out as shown in your photo. Thanks Ron!!!

Glad you like the Green Herons, you're right, great color.  They are also great Moms, here is Mom Green Heron with her chicks...

5ae062494e576_FlaExpedition-24.thumb.jpg.27e004e9d61396199418752712e6240a.jpg

They tend to catch tiny fish, so they need to feed the kids a lot of them...

5ae062575ce89_GreenHeronwithFish.thumb.jpg.30807fc14609fbe55543e5bf87875030.jpg

See you out there.