Carb rebuild question

SouthernWake

Have a Johnson 130 that runs fine at speed but has a rougher idle (idles then rpms drop catches itself then gets back to speed but eventually dies in neutral)Also do not know the last time the carbs have been rebuilt.

should I mess with a rebuild since it does seem to be running fine at speed and try to just do some adjustments or just rebuild them, see if it helps and chalk it up to maintenance if not?

I once took my fuel line off and pumped carb cleaner straight to the carbs. Took it to the ramp and cranked it on the trailer. Played with the choke and ran it if foward against the bow stop in gear. It smoked like it was on fire ( not litterly) but when the cleaner was purged and running on gas I backed it off the trailer. It worked once for me . Might be worth a try

What year motor is it? Does it have the 4 individual carburetors or two large carbs? The fuel pumps on both are diaphragm driven, location varies depending on the engine but typically the VRO has the pump in it however if the VRO is gone and you pre-mix fuel it will be mounted on the block. At idle and lower engine vacuum could cause it not to pump fuel properly. To determine if it is one particular carb. (if a looper engine) start the engine and idle with the air box off, then block the air inlet opening to each carb with the palm of your hand. You should notice the engine RPM drop and engine run rough, if it does not change on any particular carb then the low speed jet could be clogged on that carb. This link may help a little showing a block mounted pump if VRO is removed.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/johnson-evinrude-outboards/497333-dual-fuel-pumps-on-late-90s-60-degree-loopers

Archived