Which AGM battery for house/starting?

Nick2400TRS

On 4/21/2018 at 12:51 PM, Nick2400TRS said:

Forgot to add, when I was at Batteries Plus the guy told me the X2Powers have become so popular they never sit on the shelf more than a month.  They sell very well in all sizes he said. 

I've had my X2 now for about 2 years and use it as the House/Cranking.  I've been very pleased.  The guys at the batteries plus had nothing but good things to say about it... 

9 minutes ago, hurricane said:

Charger voltage??? You should have 12v batts so you need a 12v charger. Do mean Amperage? The only thing more amperage will do for you is shorten the charge time.

Sorry I should have explained better.  ProTournament chargers told me they have 3 different charge profiles for AGM batteries.  They are all very close but differ slightly, I don’t have them in front of me this second but they told me to contact the battery manufacturer to find out which is best. 

I have a 2015 24 TRS and I have 4 batteries 3 for trolling motor and 1 house battery but the way mine is set up is all the electronics and stereo and live wells run off of one of the trolling motor batteries that is isolated for 12 volts that way if that battery gets run down you switch to the emergency position and the 4th battery is only for back up starting situation. That way you always have a back up reserve battery for starting and not be stranded. Was the same way on my 22 TE.

BTW - THEY KEY TO GOOD BATTERY LIFE IS TO ALWAYS CHARGE AS SOON AS YOU GET BACK HOME.

I PUT MY CHARGER ON AS SOON AS I GET OFF THE WATER....

This is one of he key advantages of the Stealth....it's continually charging when your are running the engine.....my next one will be a stealth..but, I got such a good deal on my Promariner from a forum member, I could not turn it down......it's working great !!!

DC

On 4/25/2018 at 9:02 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

BTW - THEY KEY TO GOOD BATTERY LIFE IS TO ALWAYS CHARGE AS SOON AS YOU GET BACK HOME.

I PUT MY CHARGER ON AS SOON AS I GET OFF THE WATER....

THIS!!^^^^^^

I'm still using the original Optima batteries for the trolling motor. Going on 6 years, hopefully they will survive one more trip to the Keys next week.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:02 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Just as a matter of battery reserve if you go off the grid while fishing in the glades, I carry a lithium emergency jump  starter battery.  weights about a lb and will start anything we use on our Mavericks or pathys.  Great to know you have a jump if you need it.  Costs $75 -$100 for a good one.  Charge will last 3 or 4 months. 

Archived