Which AGM battery for house/starting?

Nick2400TRS

I have 4 batteries in my 2400TRS, 3 interstate deep cycle trolling and 1 Interstate starting for the house.  Everything is connected to the starting battery, Id like to replace it with an AGM group 31 that can handle high drain of multiple live wells and my stereo amp.  I’m debating between Deka Intimidator,  batteries plus X2Power(rebadged Northstar), and odyssey 2150.  I’d like real world experience and feedback with these batteries.  

Thanks in advance.

Duracell at Sams Club Dual purpose AGM

Don't run the stereo when your fishing and running the live wells or I will give you some more bad info.

If your 36 volt on the TM I would have 5 batteries in that boat. 2 would be for all accessories and start.

Without proper switching 1 battery for the house and start as you want to run will become a dead battery sooner or later.

I run 4 on my 21 MA 2 for TM and 2 in parallel for the house and start.

1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

Duracell at Sams Club Dual purpose AGM

Don't run the stereo when your fishing and running the live wells or I will give you some more bad info.

If your 36 volt on the TM I would have 5 batteries in that boat. 2 would be for all accessories and start.

Without proper switching 1 battery for the house and start as you want to run will become a dead battery sooner or later.

I run 4 on my 21 MA 2 for TM and 2 in parallel for the house and start.

I have 5 batteries in my hewes 21 redfisher. 3 for the 36v trolling motor and 2 in parallel for the motor and house. It's overkill, but it beats getting stranded down in the 10k islands. I didn't even notice any difference in my top speeds vs when I had a single battery. 

I couldn’t agree more with Capt. Troy.  I have 2 AGM’s for a 24v troller on a 22 Pathfinder.  I have 2 more batteries for house and starting.  A day of fishing, while running electronics, amped stereo, and one live well, WILL deplete a fully charged house battery.  Many a day I have had to switch to the 2nd battery to crank the big motor to head home.  

If  you prefer not to add a 5th battery, you should strongly consider keeping a good set of jumper cables onboard! :D

I have the ability to switch to one of the trolling batts to crank the big motor.  But if I’m running the trolling motor also I wonder if it will be too low to crank my F300?  

I’m going to see if I can fit a 5th batt in my console, it’ll be tight.

Assuming I add a 2nd house battery why did you choose the Deka/Duracell instead of the others?

Im a fan of the Sams Duracells also, but if they are not easily available to you, can't go wrong with a Deka batt.

As far as the 5th batt, I agree if you run the stereo and livewell you may have an issue. And I agree fishing in the 10k island I would have 5 batts. However, if you can remember to switch to your TM batt/#2 when you setup for a long time running the stereo and livewells, and you fish a populated area like Tampa, I think 4 is fine. The risk of a low battery is there, but for me in Tampa there is always help if needed.

Not to derail topic but when you need to use the second back up battery to start the engine do not use the both setting. Use the 2 setting. If you go to both then the weak 1starting battery will pull down the amperage of the stronger #2 battery. 

Once started you can switch to  both for charging but do not go through the off setting. Go from  #2 to  both. 

23 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

Not to derail topic but when you need to use the second back up battery to start the engine do not use the both setting. Use the 2 setting. If you go to both then the weak 1starting battery will pull down the amperage of the stronger #2 battery. 

Once started you can switch to  both for charging but do not go through the off setting. Go from  #2 to  both. 

When I mentioned switching to "both" to crank the engine, I should have mentioned that I was talking about a situation where neither battery was by itself strong enough to crank the big motor. 

I also have a Sams Club Group 31 Duracell AGM as my starting/house battery. Had it for a year with no complaints. Priced very reasonable compared to Odyssey or Optima. I too have a battery switch to use one of my trolling motor batteries when I select "ALL". 

If you are still worried about only have 1 starting/house battery, then carry a lithium ion jump starter. Cheap insurance in a light weight package. 

Having 5 batteries is probably over 300 Lbs. in battery weight. If you are concerned about draft that is a lot of extra weight. 

I'm not sure if I have more or less footprint in my console (23 HPS) but the dealer rigged my batteries in line with the bow/boat. I measured it out, and changed them to run perpendicular to the boat; now a 5th battery will fit where the yellow circle is...even though it doesn't look like it in this picture. Can you realign the batteries to gain the room you need?

Batt1.jpg

Batt4.jpg

3 hours ago, hurricane said:

Manual gives you minimum requirements.  Anything above their minimum is fine.

8 hours ago, blewbyu said:

Speaking of starting batts, my tech told me I need a 1000 CCA series 24 for my 02 Yanaha F115. The engine electronics requires it when moving slow especially the fuel pump and EFI.

Any thoughts before I change out my Costco series 24 500 CCA batt?

the  yamidog pros at Boat Center recommend the same thing....it's the white DEKA.

I used it as my primary battery and had it tied into a "trolling motor" set up.....

no issues for many years....

I used it for both my 115 and 150.

DC

On April 20, 2018 at 7:26 AM, blewbyu said:

Speaking of starting batts, my tech told me I need a 1000 CCA series 24 for my 02 Yanaha F115. The engine electronics requires it when moving slow especially the fuel pump and EFI.

Any thoughts before I change out my Costco series 24 500 CCA batt?

19 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

the  yamidog pros at Boat Center recommend the same thing....it's the white DEKA.

I used it as my primary battery and had it tied into a "trolling motor" set up.....

no issues for many years....

I used it for both my 115 and 150.

DC

Not easy to find a marine cranking group 24 battery with 1000 CCA . I have only found a couple that make a group 24 with 1000 CCA do you know what the part number of the group 24 cranking marine dekas with 1000 CCA than you guys are running ?  

What’s the proper charging profile for these AGM’s?  The promariner/protournament customer service guy today told me each AGM is different.  He talked about different charging and different maintenance voltages the charger can produce.  Any input would be appreciated.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:14 AM, dabear said:

Not easy to find a marine cranking group 24 battery with 1000 CCA . I have only found a couple that make a group 24 with 1000 CCA do you know what the part number of the group 24 cranking marine dekas with 1000 CCA than you guys are running ?

Joe,

it's the DEKA White Marine AGM....I had  it on my RF 18 and my 22 Pathy prior to going with the series 31's when I went to 36V on the TM.

dc

7 minutes ago, Nick2400TRS said:

What’s the proper charging profile for these AGM’s?  The promariner/protournament customer service guy today told me each AGM is different.  He talked about different charging and different maintenance voltages the charger can produce.  Any input would be appreciated.

I posted a link a while ago about FAQ on batteries...look for it...but, in general, any good quality charger will take care of a wet cell or standard AGM - meaning DEKA or similar....some of the spiral batteries are a bit peculiar on their requirements......

From what I've seen, the Promariner which is what I have, is used on both the Oddeyssey and standard...there is a switch, if i'm not mistaken, the must be pushed if using a spiral core battery....but, that's it.

Dual pro, Minnkotta, Stealth, Promariner, etc. are going to take care of most batteries...be sure to get individual charging cells for each bank so if it goes bad, you can then just move the leads in a  pinch and keep charging :)

dc

Archived