Heading over to steinhatchee

Northfl

The wife and i are going to steinhatchee on wed to try some trout fishing. I have never been trout fishing in the area only offshore and scalloping. 

Any local folks to the area have any pointers.? 

I was going to try some topwater early and some popping corks and gulps also. 

Any help is much appreciated

thanks

Was going to go thursday and stay thru the weekend but changed our minds because it is gonna be windy. we tear the trout up on the offshore grassy flats in 4'-6' on popping corks and Gulp shrimp. Red fishing is also awesome but you have to go tight to shore near creek mouths and be extremely careful of ROCK! We strictly fish topwater , jigs, and spoons. All artificial. Let us know how you do I am gonna make it probably next week weather permitting. 

I am not a local, but for what its worth.... from steinhatchee run north,,, short of the bird rack. 4 to 6 foot of water.. drift across the sandy and grassy patches..

popping corks or just jig heads and soft plastics.. My friends pick on me.. my rule down there is if it is white they will bite.

Good luck

Well we caught a bunch mostly shorts but a few keepers. And yes the bite white/pink, white/chartreuse. Caught a bunch on new penny shrimp also. 

Water was pertty dirty kinda like fishing the northeast fl creeks most of the time. 

Wife caught one trout about 5” long. I thought they were born longer than that lol. Smallest one i’ve seen definetly gonna go back again and up north a lil bit 

Try the " birdrack" area....any of the locals can tell you how to get there.  Big redfish in that area....also the mouth of the creeks around shell banks are good for trout and bass.  Down South of there a few miles is plenty of spartina grass loaded with trout. Talk to the lady at Sea Hag marina....they usually will shoot you straight. They also sell any bait choice you may have.

Popping corks with 24" leaders / 1/8oz jig heads or just a plain ( no popping cork ) 1/4 oz jig head with almost any color , we used copper crush, bubble gum, white/pink, cotton candy. At daylight go with Zara Spook Jrs.  The bigger trout will turn on for about the first 30 to 45 minutes...and it's game on !

We went south a little ways, the wifes 80 y/o aunt went with us at the last minute and I didnt really want to subject her bones to a lot of riding but we ran a few miles south and drifted back. 

I’ve never done much of the popping cork fishing until recently so it may have been that i was doing something not quite right, but all in all it was better than being at work. 

Next time we go i am going to stay the night much to long of a trip for a day trip. 

Tough this weekend. Wind was brutal but we managed 7-8 keeper trout Friday, and 5 keeper trout Saturday with the biggest being 24”. Most of our fish were caught on topwater as they weren’t very interested in our gulps. That made it a little more interesting.  We also snagged a small Cobia, sea bass and a few reds.  It definitely could’ve been better but we had a good time. 

Archived