How many previous and current coachs do we have here?

ififish

My son is 10 and plays travel baseball as well as rec. I have managed his teams most of his young career in baseball. Lost the past 7 spring and fall fishing seasons to baseball but love the game and the time with my son and dad on the field. 

How many of you guys have also had this experience with your kids? Any professional coachs on here?

The experience has been very rewarding but selfishly I really want to get in more time on the boat one of these spring and fall seasons!

Not yet but I have a 18 month old and looking forward to it although I did coach HS a number of years ago  

I was a 4 year college baseball player and my brother was a minor league player for 8 or 9 years with a short stint in the big leagues so baseball is in our blood. 

Bragging moment: coolest thing I’ve ever seen in my life - Lil brother getting his first major league hit. Two outs bottom of 8th he hits RBI single to keep game alive and tie it up. Ricky Weeks comes behind him hits a HR to take lead and win it. We played together all growing up and a year in colllege so I know the efforts it takes to get to that level.... Still gives me chills thinking about that. 

97E97AEF-5543-4A98-AFD6-F8F42338D104.jpeg

I’ve been a volunteer high school varsity basketball assistant coach for 12 years. 

My son is 7 so I coach him in basketball in a fall league and a fall/early winter league.  Also help coach his team in baseball. This is his 4th season playing baseball and first season playing kid pitch. Less than a month left to the season.  

He loves baseball and wants to play fall ball. I’m not sure I’ll let him. Kids specialize way too early. Just be an athlete and specialize later.  The manager of his team is a former high school head coach, he went to 4 state final fours in 4 years. So he knows what he’s doing. And he says kids need to play as many positions as they can and as many sports as they can. 

I miss a lot of time on the water. But, I can’t get this time back. When he’s gone, he’s gone. I’ll be on the water or the golf course all the time then. 

All started for me coaching my twin daughters little league softball team. That carried on to coaching their travel ball team. They then switched to lacrosse and I ended up as an assistant coach for their club team as well as their high school team. Now I get to relax in the stands and watch them play in college. 

I am a former High School Head Football Coach, coached for 13 years before going into administration.  The amount of time committed to coaching was crazy,  Thought I would do it forever,  but my career path went in a different direction. When I was coaching it was my life and I loved it.  But life after coaching has afforded me a lot of time with the family and fishing.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, ififish said:

My son is 10 and plays travel baseball as well as rec. I have managed his teams most of his young career in baseball. Lost the past 7 spring and fall fishing seasons to baseball but love the game and the time with my son and dad on the field. 

How many of you guys have also had this experience with your kids? Any professional coachs on here?

The experience has been very rewarding but selfishly I really want to get in more time on the boat one of these spring and fall seasons!

Was a AAU basketball coach and traveled to play qualification games for two years. I sense I lost a lot of nice cobia, dolphin and sails during that time but was a great experience to play against the different talent in the region.

I coached Little League and Travel Baseball for about about 7 years until my son was finally playing school sports.  Loved coaching but it was a tough position to be in having to coach my son.  We had some tough moments because it's hard to turn it off after games but you have to be able to balance dad/coach.  I would do a few things different but I wouldn't trade the moments we had for any fishing outings unless it included he and I on the water somewhere.  I think fishing outings we've had together were refreshing breaks from the grind on the field.  There was no pressure to make a play, throw a strike or get on base.  Just wait for the line to wiggle a little and see if you can bring it it.  I wish we had more moments on the water or even on the golf course.  Now it's time to hit it hard to get him thru HS and College.  Then he'll be out doing his thing somewhere and I'll have some old friends in the same boat as me looking to wet a line.  Enjoy coaching while you can but leave it on the field. 

On 4/16/2018 at 6:54 PM, ififish said:

Telltale, where do you guys play tourneys usually?

I'm in Hollywood--mostly Miami to Palm Beach for tourneys. One good thing about so many programs in the area is you usually don't have to travel too far for a tourney...

I coached my son’s city soccer teams for 5 years and his middle school teams for 2. I played soccer for 11 years until I tore up my knee in high school. Add 6 years of tackle football, 10 years of baseball & 20 years of surfing to that....I can feel all my past injuries every day I wake up.

Coaching was a lot of work. And I was always toughest on my son during practice which caused rifts at home. It’s still a love/hate conversation when we talk about those years.  

The city soccer teams I coached appeared in 4 straight final games & we won 2 championships, including the city of Pompano Beach’s first & only undefeated team in the 11-13year division. We were undefeated one other season prior to that but lost the final on penalty kicks after the most exciting overtime period I ever witnessed. I’ve never seen so many heart broken players & parents (and coach) on 1 field after that game. Our middle school teams were always pretty soft. We managed one semi final game appearance. Definitely memorable years that I will always miss!

I took my son as far as I could and now he is playing jv soccer. He made a jump to that team in 8th grade and was starting strong side defender all last season. The school wants him to move up to the varsity team in 9th grade but I’m going to hold him back so he can become mentally & physically stronger.

Admittedly I’m the worst parent spectator. I find myself constantly pacing in front of the bleechers just like I did on the sidelines when I was coaching. We have always fished (a lot) and spent time at our fish camp during the off season.  

Archived