Sign in to follow this  
General disarray

Cheese grater question

I noticed the new steel grate is thinner and the center holes don’t line up. What’s everyone doing? 

I was thinkg to redrill the holes he holes in the stainless to match then bed the entire edges in 4200 and wipe smooth to smooth the transition from the hull to the grater

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

Perfect solution....use existing holes in boat...redrill grater if necessary.

Well plan went a little sideways. Decided to clean it up and prep - the center holes are so far off to the sides the hole for the screw would be half on the plate half off.

i am thinking six10 the center holes and redrill. Thoughts? I wouldn’t need to gel over those since I’m bedding it right?

If you drill new holes, just be sure to completely seal the old ones when you put new cheese grater on....be sure to use a sealant for "below the waterline" ....I would use 4200.... but, that's just my opinion, JJ

45 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

If you drill new holes, just be sure to completely seal the old ones when you put new cheese grater on....be sure to use a sealant for "below the waterline" ....I would use 4200.... but, that's just my opinion, JJ

Yeah I was going to six10 the old ones which is a full epoxy resin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waterman18 said:

Wondering why you need to replace the grater?

I'm having some issues with my pumps not pumping at speed....can the grater go bad?

Mine is the old plastic (or PVC) version. The areas around the screws had cracked through so it was about to rip off. 

I would actually think your pumps would run better at speed. Heck, if my valves were open mine would push water through with the pumps off. 

Does yours pump at low speed or off? Do you have the new style grater?