The official "What did you catch today" thread

whichwaysup

I am in the Homestead area (South Florida) but the fish were caught in the northern areas of Everglades National Park on the west coast.  All of the recent rains have helped to expedite moving the fish out of the back-country and out to the coasts.  I grew up over in the Tampa area and this time of year the snook should be moving out to the beaches and creek mouths from Southwest Florida up to Central Florida to spawn.      

17 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

Does glad I didn't catch it count. 

A 12 tiger shark took an interest in our jelly ball while spade fishing. 

Would have been trouble if he had liked the smell.  He nudged it but not the right flavor for him

20180610_110649_001.jpg

20180610_110648_001.jpg

Captain, we’re gonna need a bigger boat...

• Like 1

Spade  fish eat what are called cannon ball jelly fish. They are the big jelly fish without stinging tentacles.  You fish over structure place a  couple on a line and cut someup for chum. They will come. Put a small piece on a small hook and enjoy the fight. A 3000 spinning reel and light tackle will give a huge fight.

Also good eating.

Here is a picture of them on the surface.

20180610_104229.jpg

Dang, I had no idea!  You learn something new everyday.  We toss those at each other while surfing but beware, they do excrete venom when you really tick em off.  Threw one at my son after he threw it at me (and after I had thrown it at him).  Apparently four tosses is the limit of their tolerance - spewed venom all in his face and eyes.  #greatfathermoments #daddyoftheyearaward #wifehadchoicewords

• Like 1

On June 12, 2018 at 4:52 PM, whichwaysup said:

Dang, I had no idea!  You learn something new everyday.  We toss those at each other while surfing but beware, they do excrete venom when you really tick em off.  Threw one at my son after he threw it at me (and after I had thrown it at him).  Apparently four tosses is the limit of their tolerance - spewed venom all in his face and eyes.  #greatfathermoments #daddyoftheyearaward #wifehadchoicewords

About 20 years ago...I had no idea that they could sting either, but I know better now. We used to throw them at each other when wade fishing.  I hit a friend with one and he start screaming like a little girl saying it stung him. I was like OK, whatever.  Then he hit me with one and I found out for myself that they do sting... left a burn mark on me.  Good times

• Like 1

Yesterday my friend Greg and I took his son to Indian River for him to catch a big red on his 13th. birthday. Bingo! 47 inches and about 30 pounds. He handled it all by himself. Good job. That’s our guide Capt. Travis Tanner who put us on the fish.

2FA2577A-C15A-4E94-9F9D-4B4F0BEBC539.jpeg

• Like 2

Went fishing Friday to a place I hadn’t fished in 20 or so years...the Aucilla.  It was super windy first light making it tough to fish the points and oyster bars for reds... managed one 21” red on topwater.  If I had an iPilot we could’ve fished the points and bars, so it looks like I’ll be getting one soon.  Ran out deeper to make some drifts...fishing was slow.  Ran out a lil deeper and started catching a mixed bag. My buddy caught a huge gar that was probably just shy of 4ft.  Took home a few fish to eat, so it wasn’t all that bad.  

BEDD1009-D44F-4DED-AD87-52807D4635C1.jpeg

I shamelessly invited myself on a buddy's boat this a.m. for some dawn patrol, marsh redfish action.  We saw a bunch, but they didnt want much of what we had to offer.   Managed to land this guy in a rather surprising way.  

We saw a big red swirl near some oyster bars, and I let my buddy take first shot.  While waiting for him to line up, I cast to the opposite bank.  By the time he finally fired off a cast, my topwater was in open water, so I dropped my rod and grabbed my phone to try to film the bite we knew he was going to get.  He got nothing, but it sounded like a cannon went off behind us and suddenly I was frantically trying to keep my rod from shooting out from between my legs.  Dang red must have followed it waaay out and then took his sweet time deciding to eat.  

And why the heck do my pics keep.posting upside down?

20180628_061732.jpg

20180628_060651.jpg