King Starboard Starlite XL question

geeviam

To keep the boat as light as possible, I'm thinking about mounting electronics and batteries inside the console to Starboard Starlite XL instead of the heavier standard Starboard.  The problem is that the Starlite XL is more porous and attracts dirt, mold, etc.  Has anyone tried sealing the Starboard Starlite XL with something like Polyurethane or Universal paint to seal the pores?  Or, would it not stick?  Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.  Thanks

Harder to keep clean? Forget it! White starboard is hard enough as is. I can’t see how that lil bit of weight savings in the center of the boat is gonna help much of anything.   

I haven’t found much of anything that sticks to starboard. Get it  in Black maybe?

2 hours ago, justfish said:

Get it  in Black maybe?

Getting it in black is a good thought.  It may not be worth the hassle to save a few pounds.  It's just that I'm going to cram a lot of stuff into the Redfisher console.  The Starboard will be used for the floor (batteries), sides (battery charger, circuit breaker panel, StructureScan 3D module, and some other stuff), and support for a 50# battery stacked on top of the other two batteries.  It's going to be a freakin Starboard-o-rama!

Expanded pvc sheet...holds screws well and you can use methacralyte epoxy to adhear it to the console walls/sides. It's light and readily available...affordable, too! A sheet of 1/2" x 2' x 4' is $27 at Home Depot. They also carry 3/4" and it's closer to $50. 

The epoxy was a challenge to find at the usual places, but my local Ace had it. It's Devcon Plastic Weld...read the back and make sure it has methacralyte in it. 

1 hour ago, BradM said:

Expanded pvc sheet...holds screws well and you can use methacralyte epoxy to adhear it to the console walls/sides. It's light and readily available...affordable, too! A sheet of 1/2" x 2' x 4' is $27 at Home Depot. They also carry 3/4" and it's closer to $50. 

The epoxy was a challenge to find at the usual places, but my local Ace had it. It's Devcon Plastic Weld...read the back and make sure it has methacralyte in it. 

Good info.  Thanks Brad!

8 hours ago, geeviam said:

Getting it in black is a good thought.  It may not be worth the hassle to save a few pounds.  It's just that I'm going to cram a lot of stuff into the Redfisher console.  The Starboard will be used for the floor (batteries), sides (battery charger, circuit breaker panel, StructureScan 3D module, and some other stuff), and support for a 50# battery stacked on top of the other two batteries.  It's going to be a freakin Starboard-o-rama!

First, if you are using it to mount batteries, you want the stiff stuff....when I mounted mine in a starboard box i made, i even screwed a 1/4 inch aluminum backing plate what was larger than the starboard to allow little to no flex......

I would also use, for anything not on the floor, PVC board which you can get at Lowes or Home Depot....you are not saving much weight by going lighter.

dc

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

First, if you are using it to mount batteries, you want the stiff stuff....when I mounted mine in a starboard box i made, i even screwed a 1/4 inch aluminum backing plate what was larger than the starboard to allow little to no flex......

I would also use, for anything not on the floor, PVC board which you can get at Lowes or Home Depot....you are not saving much weight by going lighter.

dc

Thank you DC.  You're right - the battery support needs to be solid, so I think I'll use 1" regular Starboard for that.  The aluminum backing plate is a good idea too - might use that as well.

On my 19', I used a piece of 1" Coosa Board, that I cut to fit in the console. I had to make it in two pieces, which was fine. I used the smaller of the two pieces as my new 'access' door. I had 4 Optima blue tops on it for years, and never had an issue. It's spendy, but a lot lighter than starboard. I simply rattle can'd it white....no resin or sealer needed on Coosa. How big of a piece do you need for the floor section? I think I bought mine from Boat Outfitters, and they will cut it to size and charge accordingly.

19 hours ago, BradM said:

Which HD? South side? I keep hearing about this PVC board on here but St Aug HD sure doesn’t carry it. 

Can you post a link to it? 

On 4/13/2018 at 8:14 AM, BradM said:

On my 19', I used a piece of 1" Coosa Board, that I cut to fit in the console. I had to make it in two pieces, which was fine. I used the smaller of the two pieces as my new 'access' door. I had 4 Optima blue tops on it for years, and never had an issue. It's spendy, but a lot lighter than starboard. I simply rattle can'd it white....no resin or sealer needed on Coosa. How big of a piece do you need for the floor section? I think I bought mine from Boat Outfitters, and they will cut it to size and charge accordingly.

I haven't got exact measurements yet, but it will be about the size of two 34M batteries side by side on the floor with some extra space around each.  The critical piece will be the support shelf for the third battery above the other two.  Has to be rigid and strong.  The Coosa board you mentioned sounds like the best option.  I will look into it.  Thanks for the info!

Archived