Boat Storage and Trolling Motor Battery Charging

GigaBites

Hello All... I'm excited to be getting back into the "family". I previously owned a 1900v but have been boat-less for a few years (far too long). When it came time to get another boat, I knew I wanted another Pathfinder. I just ordered a new 2200 TRS and can't wait for it to arrive. In the meantime I'm working on locating storage.

For those of you who store your boats in dry storage/rack storage at Marinas. How do you charge your trolling motor batteries (will have a 4 bank on-board charger)? All the marinas I've checked with don't have an option to leave the boat plugged in (which makes sense... plus I'd imagine it is a fire risk they're not willing to take). A couple marinas have an option to move the boat out of the "main storage racks" to "maintenance/cleaning" racks, where there is 120v power.

Thanks,

Andrew

Between the marina electrical outlets, both on their docks and the cleaning racks, plus the electrical outlets at my community dock, I don't have any problem keeping the batteries charged up.  Sometimes, I might have to leave it plugged in on a wash rack for a few hours after I leave, but the guys will unplug it and toss the cord into the boat before they put it back in the barn.   My Powermania usually will charge up the batteries in about 3 hours or so.  One thing you might want to consider, if a power outlet is going to be a problem at your marina,  is the Stealth AC/DC charger that charges your batteries anytime you are running the big motor.  They are very popular with boats fishing for days away from a power supply.   You need to post some pictures of the new ride when it comes in.  What kind of power?

Thanks JEM

I'll look into the Stealth AC/DC charger. What you're describing is what I was thinking as well... when I bring the boat back in from a day on the water, I'll have them move the boat to the wash station and maybe they'll allow me to leave it there to charge the batteries overnight, or at least for a few hours. Obviously I don't want to needlessly take up a wash rack on a busy day, but I'm thinking this would work for most anytime that is not too busy.

I'll definitely upload some pics when it arrives. I'm fortunate enough to be about an hour from the factory, so I'm planning to get some pics of the build process as well. The boat will have a Yamaha 200 VMax SHO (Based on much research/recommendations, most from the various posts here)

My 2200 TRS was delivered new to Dry Stack 5 years ago next month. I do not even own a trailer for it. Boat is rigged w/ a Stealth MAX PACK charging system and 3 Group 27 wet cell batteries, 1 Starting and 2 Deep Cycle (24V). On average I fish this boat 1-2 times a week late March thru December. Boat is wired so that one TM battery can be used as emergency start (# 2 on the 1, 2, all switch). The Yamaha gauge gives a digital 12V reading of the crank battery and the Stealth gauge is set for 24V readout of the TM batteries. In “season” I almost never plug in the boat. In Jan, Feb. & March I plug it in once a month. I fish working away from my marina so I have at least a short run (20/30 minutes) home. Time to relax, drink a beer and top off the batteries. You can “see” the Stealth doing its thing on the gauges while running. Charging the crank first and then topping off the TM batteries. Back at the marina I wash down while still in the water. They pull the boat, rinse the hull along with flush the motor, while I am at the fish cleaning table and up she goes ready for the next trip. (No plugging in, done) Batteries are still original (almost 5 years) and holding 12.72/12.74 V after charge and rest. Batteries get a little water 2/3 times a year. Starting to sound like a commercial but it works for me. Feel free to ask questions. Oh, welcome back to the family.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:31 AM, bernieNC said:

...Starting to sound like a commercial but it works for me...

Commercial or not, that's great real-world use information. Thanks!

Your fishing scenario lines up with what I'm expecting to do as well. How well does it charge at lower engine RPM? I've got a long run of no wake/low wake in and out of the marina that I'm looking at.

7 hours ago, GigaBites said:

Commercial or not, that's great real-world use information. Thanks!

Your fishing scenario lines up with what I'm expecting to do as well. How well does it charge at lower engine RPM? I've got a long run of no wake/low wake in and out of the marina that I'm looking at.

That Stealth system is only limited by the engine’s amperage output. Remember it charges the starting battery first(a couple of minutes) then directs charging to the other attached batteries. So definitely it will charge at low RPM and do it well.  See below straight off the Yamaha web page. 

Per Yamaha

“With 46 amps of total alternator power at 1000 RPM and a full 50 amps from 2500 ~ 6000 RPM, V MAX SHO® outboards offer the kind of charging power needed to  operate today's wide array of on-board electronic devices.”

4 minutes ago, smooth move said:

does anyone use a solar power supply to create power to the maintainer? just curious.

YMMV, but the 4 marinas locally I looked at all said they do not allow batteries to be charged at all while on the storage racks (I asked specifically about solar charging). They said charging on the outdoor work/wash racks or in the wet-slip was OK.

I bet solar would work fine for work/wash rack or slip charging. Someone much smarter than I could weigh in on solar panel size to charge speed and whether it is worth it.

2 hours ago, GigaBites said:

YMMV, but the 4 marinas locally I looked at all said they do not allow batteries to be charged at all while on the storage racks (I asked specifically about solar charging). They said charging on the outdoor work/wash racks or in the wet-slip was OK.

I bet solar would work fine for work/wash rack or slip charging. Someone much smarter than I could weigh in on solar panel size to charge speed and whether it is worth it.

i keep my boat in slings in my backyard and i don't like leaving the maintainer on for long periods of time. i was thinking the solar thing would be OK cause it wouldn't charge at night. i use the boat at least twice a week weather permitting, but here lately weather is not permitting and it sits for 2-3 weeks at a time.

On 4/17/2018 at 10:11 PM, smooth move said:

i keep my boat in slings in my backyard and i don't like leaving the maintainer on for long periods of time. i was thinking the solar thing would be OK cause it wouldn't charge at night. i use the boat at least twice a week weather permitting, but here lately weather is not permitting and it sits for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Sounds like a good option in your case. I'd be curious about the solar panel size to charge rate ratio. I know the sailing community heavily uses solar, so there should definitely be some good options.

Archived