Not the 2nd best day

johnd

Whomever said the two best days in a boat owners life....wrong. I’m totally thrilled my skiff (92 Lappy) went to a really nice young man, but oh it was tough to see her drive away.  Yeah, it’s “only” a boat, but the last decade with that boat..we only attended one MBG event, in SC, and you folks on this forum are like “family” and the miles and fish and memories.  

I’ve encouraged the young guy to join this forum.  I’ll still lurk and when I can, contribute.  At least for now, not fully part of the family.  Who ever knows what the future will bring.  

Tight lines

I'm not getting enough days in my boat.  Love it the days I'm on the water but not sure I can justify having the boat, paying insurance and registration/taxes when I'm on the water less than 1 month out of the year in it.  Would hate to see it go as well.  Has a lot of my own hard labor in it.  Plus lots of good memories with my Dad, Son and Friends.  Good thing is those would stay with me regardless.  

Funny to read this.  There is, if you are lucky, one or two boats in your life that you really regret parting with and always kick yourself over.  My 2000 18 MA is my pride amd joy and replaced my old 87 MA that I still have cheating thoughts about.  When I discovered a stringer issue late last year, it bugged me more than it should have.  WAAAY more.  Logic said I should have sold it, no way I will get back what I have in her, not even close, but I just couldnt do it.  I know it would be that boat I wish I had held on to.  So it sat in my yard forlornly on its trailer for 4 months while I agonized over what to do.   She will hopefully be under the knife come May 1, and I wont know till then how bad the fix will be, but having run every scenario through my head, I think selling her will leave me with more regret than putting more money into her than she is worth.  

So JohnD, I feel your pain.  That boat will likely haunt you for awhile, and may even be the cause of you buying another one in the future.  Sometimes we dont know what we have till its gone.  

Of course, check back with me in June when the bill comes due and I may be singing a different tune!

Archived