Hatch changed color - Question

Mangroovin

This is kinda weird but here's what happened.

So I have a leak at my Power Pole pump which is mounted inside my hatch under my driver seat.  Cleaned whole boat 2 weeks ago and used some degreaser inside the hatch with a sponge.  No problem.  Cleaned it all up and hatch was as clean as its been in years.  Put boat away with lid closed.  Open lid about a week later and notice more fluid had leaked out - but here's the weird part.  The hatch floor turned a tan color.  Is that from some fume the newly leaked fluid gives off?  Haven't pulled it out of garage yet to clean but it appears it should come off with a little elbow grease.  Any thoughts on what might have caused this.  Its been leaking but usually I leave all hatches open.  Just happened to leave it closed for about a week after cleaning it.  You can see the little pool of fluid from the PP. Its the originial white under the spill spot.  Hmmmm....never seen this one before.

IMG_3174.jpg

My 02 21 RF has discolored storage compartments as well. Nothing would remove it so I painted them with fusion rattle can paint that's made for bonding to plastic.  I used a prep solvent and 320 grit sandpaper to help out with the bond. They look clean again and the paint is holding up fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I had the same type of problem. There was some water in release well for about three days when the boat was parked back in the garage. I went to clean her up and found the hatch’s gel coat had discoloured in a bunch of the hatches. This was a brand new boat. I tried some TLC powder, and Marine Spray nine and a lot of elbow grease to get most of it off but two hatches still have a ring under the lid. Now I always open all lids and make sure they are towel dried. This shouldn’t have happened and still don’t know why. Water was from hard sprays at car wash.

Archived