Best Battery Charger?

DavisIslander

Can't go wrong with the Stealth System. You can just go with the AC system and later add the DC/charge on the run.  I just have the AC charger, don't feel like I use the TM enough or make long enough runs to take advantage of charge on the run.

Have also heard good things about NOCO genius chargers. I haven't heard anyone mention Schumacher onboard chargers, I know the make regular battery chargers, seen them at Walmart. I assume you are looking for an onboard charger.

6 hours ago, FLDXT said:

I've always had great luck with Dual Pro, just replaced.one that was 13 years old. Company is good to deal with, you actually talk to a person.

I just bought a Dual Pro.  I read lots of reviews and it has the best ratings.  I didn't need the AC/DC charge-on-the-run, or I would have heeded Outlaw's advice and went with the Stealth.  When I saw that Hobo was using the Dual Pro, I knew it had to be a good choice for AC-only charging.  Got mine here - they have good prices on Odyssey batteries and fast shipping too:

https://www.batterymart.com/p-acc-rs3-6-amp-waterproof-battery-charger-3-bank.html

A friend of mine had a Quad Pro dealer installed charger (about a $500 charger if I remember correctly) in his brand new 2016 24 Pathfinder bought in March, 2016. By September, 2017, the charger was dead.  He had to bit the bullet, and put in a AC/DC Stealth on the fly charger.   I had a Powermania charger installed in my 2007 2200V in March, 2016.  My charger is still going strong!   

As you see there’s as many opinions as there are charger. 

My only recommendation is skip the starting batt. It’s really unnecessary if you use the boat at all regularly IMO. I’ve had more issues with my starting batts on the on board charger.  Last two boats haven’t had it on and no issues. I think once I’ve had to put my portable charger on it when it sat for longgggggg time unused 

11 hours ago, justfish said:

As you see there’s as many opinions as there are charger. 

My only recommendation is skip the starting batt. It’s really unnecessary if you use the boat at all regularly IMO. I’ve had more issues with my starting batts on the on board charger.  Last two boats haven’t had it on and no issues. I think once I’ve had to put my portable charger on it when it sat for longgggggg time unused 

Agree with this.

With the Stealth Charger, if you have one of your TM batts connected as your #2 starting battery. You can place the battery switch in both, and charge the TM batt and the house/starting #1 batt. I do this about once a month after the TM batt has been fully charged. I do it  just to keep the battery topped off, but not so often that if the motor wasn't charging I wouldn't know it till I was on the water. Not sure if other units can handle that, but I spoke with the guys at Stealth and they told me that was acceptable.

9 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I have been using a Promariner 3 bank.....I have had previously a 4 bank Minnkotta that went 7 years (4 bank)....not a problem at all so far with the promariner...FWIW....Hells Bay installs these and swears by them....

thAOS30AL3.jpg.f17db5789799113bb1775be5cfeda8a3.jpg

dc

Has worked great for me so far.

Archived