HPX 15 Owners

hawg

I  have a problem with water/dirt accumulating in the ice chest tie-down inserts which are installed in the deck of my boat. Have any of you guys tried drilling a hole in the bottom of these inserts in order to allow the water/dirt to flow into the bilge? Any idea how much clearance there is between the bottom of the insert and the hull itself?

Since the response to this stimulating subject was somewhat disappointing, I decided to take some measurements and risk drilling a couple of holes. According to my calculations, there is approximately 2 inches between the bottom of the tie-down inserts and the hull. I drilled holes in the bottom of each insert, being careful not to go any deeper than necessary. The water now drains into the bilge without any issues.

Glad to see there are some HPX 15 owners around.  My boat is a 2007 bgt when it was 2 yrs from a gentlemen in Great Pine Island, Keys. It is fitted with a simple heavy shock cord to pad eyes in the deck,so there is no area for water or dirt to  to accumulate.  It is a fun little boat.

Hawg -

Lest these folks not recognize your genius, I'll chime in.   My 2000 MA has the same system you do, I believe.   The cooler tie downs are recessed into the deck, with bars running across the holes to allow you to hook the tie downs to deck.  All of this is nice, flush, and not toe grabbing, but as you point out, dirty and water collects in the recessed areas and looks like hell.

I'd never thought about drilling a hole in it, but it would go a long way to elminating this.  What size bit did you use?

4 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Hawg -

Lest these folks not recognize your genius, I'll chime in.   My 2000 MA has the same system you do, I believe.   The cooler tie downs are recessed into the deck, with bars running across the holes to allow you to hook the tie downs to deck.  All of this is nice, flush, and not toe grabbing, but as you point out, dirty and water collects in the recessed areas and looks like hell.

I'd never thought about drilling a hole in it, but it would go a long way to elminating this.  What size bit did you use?

Sorry guys I’m a little slow. Now I understand the tie down system you guys have it makes perfect sense 

Archived