Engine Alarm

fin-addict

Never had a alarm gone off before. Fri. added oil to tank to between the two full lines at top of tank. was half full. sat. had 1/8 tank of gas. filed at marina to half. from condo to marina ran 1100 rpm as usual for 15 min thru waterway. after fill left marina and ran boat as normal for one mile and alarm went off. constant buzzing, peeing steady and cool water. headed back in at 1400rpm. any suggestions fellas !!!!!!! before I call a mechanic. turned to on this morning and still buzzing, did not start. thanks, fin, non too happy right now. 

17 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Never had a alarm gone off before. Fri. added oil to tank to between the two full lines at top of tank. was half full. sat. had 1/8 tank of gas. filed at marina to half. from condo to marina ran 1100 rpm as usual for 15 min thru waterway. after fill left marina and ran boat as normal for one mile and alarm went off. constant buzzing, peeing steady and cool water. headed back in at 1400rpm. any suggestions fellas !!!!!!! before I call a mechanic. turned to on this morning and still buzzing, did not start. thanks, fin, non too happy right now. 

If the alarm is buzzing when engine is dead cold I would lean towards oil or wiring.  I am assuming you filled the remote tank in the boat?  I would pull the cowling and check the main tank.  If it is low, that's your buzzer!  You can try the emergency fill switch to fill it.  If that doesn't work your transfer pump may have gone bad (pretty common).  You can pull the float assembly out of the small main tank and fill it manually (funnel and quart of 2 stroke).  This will get you several miles without an issue.  If your main tank is full I would still pull the float assembly and make sure the float isn't stuck down for some reason.  Also check all connections coming through the rigging tube into the pan.  Disconnect all plugs, inspect for corrosion and such, then reconnect.  If all of that is good you I would check your key switches.  Disconnect all plugs and bullet connectors, inspect and re-connect. 

4 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

If the alarm is buzzing when engine is dead cold I would lean towards oil or wiring.  I am assuming you filled the remote tank in the boat?  I would pull the cowling and check the main tank.  If it is low, that's your buzzer!  You can try the emergency fill switch to fill it.  If that doesn't work your transfer pump may have gone bad (pretty common).  You can pull the float assembly out of the small main tank and fill it manually (funnel and quart of 2 stroke).  This will get you several miles without an issue.  If your main tank is full I would still pull the float assembly and make sure the float isn't stuck down for some reason.  Also check all connections coming through the rigging tube into the pan.  Disconnect all plugs, inspect for corrosion and such, then reconnect.  If all of that is good you I would check your key switches.  Disconnect all plugs and bullet connectors, inspect and re-connect. 

If you have good water flow this would be my next step. 

I had a similar issue last year. I replaced the oil float filter in the reservoir tank on the engine, and the little bitty filter on the bottom of the remote oil tank. That seemed to help, but ultimately I ended up replacing the electrical harness. It was only about $150 and since then, no issues at all.  As it turns out I started chasing circuits and found a couple intermittent open circuits right where the harness goes through the cowling. Apparently this is pretty common, resulting from years of tilting up and down. 

1 hour ago, Drummer said:

I had a similar issue last year. I replaced the oil float filter in the reservoir tank on the engine, and the little bitty filter on the bottom of the remote oil tank. That seemed to help, but ultimately I ended up replacing the electrical harness. It was only about $150 and since then, no issues at all.  As it turns out I started chasing circuits and found a couple intermittent open circuits right where the harness goes through the cowling. Apparently this is pretty common, resulting from years of tilting up and down. 

Same here

So In the morning,  you just turned the key on,  engine cold and not  running?  Alarm sounded and it wouldn't start or you didn't start it?  If it wouldn't start,  your problem is the kill switch. If it does run but sounds when cold, most likely oil tank low on engine,  as said above.  Also your gauge should indicate low.  Otherwise wiring.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, smilemaker said:

Another alarm often overlooked is the fuel/water alarm. There is a filter beside the vst tank that has a float. Water will cause the float to rise and set off the alarm. Does no matter on engine temp.

SPOT ON my friend. water in fuel. !!!!!!!! drained system and all is well in pathy world. removed about 2 gals water. now gin clear, sea trialed in chop today for one hour, purrrrred like a kitty !!!!!! happy camper. thanks all for the help !!!!!! :):) fin

I just went through that with mine. Had a ton of water in mine so drained eveything, changed every filter. Said it was from ethanol. Not sure about all that but.....now only ethanol free for me anyways. Never had an alarm tho 🤔

glad you got it figured out fin. 

Archived