Get boat off lift in shallow H2O

RICH12

So I installed a lift last yr and at times the water level is a hare too low to launch my 24TRS.  I was wondering what ideas you all may have that might help?  For example, I was wondering if putting on glyde sticks and push the boat off might work?  Just need a few inches lol.  Thanks.

JP

It sounds like you are on a cradle. I went to straps and picked up the couple of inches I needed. no issues with 2 pathfinders and launch all the time with up to 4 onboard. When I had the cradle I did blow out a channel every once in a while with the prop. Not the best idea but it did work for me. Good luck with it.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, RICH12 said:

So I installed a lift last yr and at times the water level is a hare too low to launch my 24TRS.  I was wondering what ideas you all may have that might help?  For example, I was wondering if putting on glyde sticks and push the boat off might work?  Just need a few inches lol.  Thanks.

JP

I have the same problem but my boat is stored on a Safe Harbor floating dock. I am on about 2ft. of mud so the only real solution is to dig out the mud and dispose of somewhere. My creek actually goes dry at low tide so I am landlocked for a set period of time each day. Though about attaching a piece of PLS with a bridle at the back of the boat to dig a channel. Tried a test case but the tide washed the mud back in within a week. Still researching solutions.

Not positive but if I remember a single 1/4" SS cable has the ability to pick up 6,000#! Now if you have four of them going straight up without a second pulley the weight of most bay boats, flats skiffs should not be too big an issue.  However you have added more "stress" on the motor and gears of the lift. As "nicecast" references going with a single drop will make things much faster. Now going the other direction from a single drop by adding a pulley the cable capacity doubles, lifting/lowering time falls in half and the stress on the motor and gears also is reduced.

Alright I had to double check, 1/4" 7 x 19 304 SS cable breaking strength is 6400#, safe work load is #1300#. Still 4 cables x 1300# each will cover most all the boats we deal with a "single drop" set up as nicecast mentioned.

21 hours ago, mulligan said:

A trash pump is just a gas water pump that is able to handle sediment, think big water main break pump.  You can pick up a fairly cheap one at Northern Tool or the like ($400 or so)or just rent one for about $75.

Thanks. I guess the remaining problem is where to get rid of mud and not endanger the marsh.

Archived