Tired of wet feet

ififish

I have installed rabuds years ago and no real help with scuppers taking on water in the cockpit of my 22te when I have more then one other person in the boat or livewells full. Considering plugging the floor drains with 5 inch standpipes while in use. Im never in a situation that I could take one over the bow and could easily pull the pipes if a situation arose. Anyone else do this? Work well?

7 hours ago, ififish said:

I have installed rabuds years ago and no real help with scuppers taking on water in the cockpit of my 22te when I have more then one other person in the boat or livewells full. Considering plugging the floor drains with 5 inch standpipes while in use. Im never in a situation that I could take one over the bow and could easily pull the pipes if a situation arose. Anyone else do this? Work well?

If the raybuds are installed correctly you shouldn't have any water intrusion.  My Bro in laws 2200 has had them for years and not a drop of water when fishing off the stern.  There used to be a few threads on here on how to install them.  You may want to run a search.  Good luck!

Most of the time, Rabuds work great, particularly if you keep crap off the deck and keep them clean.  Although I have a friend that gave up on Rabuds.

You can disconnect the hoses to the one way valves, plug the line and let the water dump in the bilge and let your bilge pump handle the water.

Is the water coming back up through the rabuds or just not draining.  My rabuds do a pretty good job of keeping water out, but my deck doesn't drain well if I get water in from something else.  I just have to stand on the bow or get up and run to get it to drain but once drained it does stay dry.

I have an '08 24 TE and frequently run heavy with both well's full, cooler of drinks under leaning post, 2-4 adults, 3-5 kids, fishing gear, beach towels, snacks, barbies, wife's paddle board sometimes, and whatever else they can remember to try to cram into the dry storage on top of the stuff i really need to get to.

I think part of the draining problem is the check valves obstruct flow, but seems like a big project to remove.  Not sure that helps.  I'm sure you have double and triple checked your rabud install.  If I recall an easy thing to miss was the orientation of the plate that you secure to the transom.  If its inverted the ping-pong ball cannot seat properly when the water pressure forced it up.

If you go the standpipe route, be careful with the drains.  I screwed my drain covers off once and the cover, and probably some old sealant, is the only thing holding the drain hose up to the bottom of the deck, no mechanical faster.  I took the covers off to dry to clean out the drain lines, and knocked one of the hoses off from the bottom of the deck, and there is no way to access from underneath without some really long arms and small hands.  What I was able to do was run a small line down there and pull out through the scupper and using the tension on the line center the hose so I could get the threads of the drain seated and tighten back up.  I don't know how you'll seal your hose if your drain setup is like mine.

Rabuds are installed with spacers correctly but have not helped with the water intrusion in the floor scuppers. May replace flaps behind rabuds again to see if that helps. With a 5 in standpipe, i would not think water intrusion would happen after inserting, and not enough water could collect to get to electrical under console. Easy to pull at the dock or in case of emergency

38 minutes ago, ififish said:

Rabuds are installed with spacers correctly but have not helped with the water intrusion in the floor scuppers. May replace flaps behind rabuds again to see if that helps. With a 5 in standpipe, i would not think water intrusion would happen after inserting, and not enough water could collect to get to electrical under console. Easy to pull at the dock or in case of emergency

me too. i just put 1 1/2" plumbers plugs in the holes inside the boat when i have more than 2 people with me. i had to shave the bottom of the face of the plug to fit the flat bottomed hole. works.

42 minutes ago, ififish said:

I’m trying to follow or understand the stand pipe fix. Are you talking about taking the draincovers off and inserting a stand pipe?

I know this is a way out there thought .. but what if you added tubing under the deck that ran from your floor drain forward then back to the stern. 

51 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I’m trying to follow or understand the stand pipe fix. Are you talking about taking the draincovers off and inserting a stand pipe?

I know this is a way out there thought .. but what if you added tubing under the deck that ran from your floor drain forward then back to the stern. 

Yes taking the grates off and inserting standpipes so the water level would have to be higher level inside the standpipe to overflow to flood the floor. Can not get to the tubing under the deck as far as I can tell. Do not want to make the boat bilge dependent only for draining. 

Purposely putting water into the bilge is not a good idea.....

.after I put the F250 on my older PF2400.... it would take water in from the cockpit drains( the older models drained out the side at floor level, horrible design )  so, I would just put a standard boat drain plug in them and it eliminated the water coming in with two grown men standing in rear of boat. The newer models have the larger drain holes draining out the back and you can buy drain plugs for those on line.they look like a giant baby pacifier....just plug the drain holes in from the inside of cockpit.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:28 AM, RodWorks said:

Just FYI, there's lots of misinformation about the correct orientation the Rabuds should be installed.

This is the wrong way....

download.jpg.4bb31e478bd94a6b53ff3b85e9617f78.jpg

Correct way...

24Raybud1.jpg.a509c56c795a1122626ec2c03d166977.jpg.e3838e941009c61218992bedcc07cc8c.jpg

Yep, in your boat, the scuppers are below the waterline and you need to have the gasket at the top as shown by RodWorks. This is the way Rabuds say not to do it... but for it to work they have to be like shown  

13 hours ago, cadd said:

Yep, in your boat, the scuppers are below the waterline and you need to have the gasket at the top as shown by RodWorks. This is the way Rabuds say not to do it... but for it to work they have to be like shown  

The forum never disappoints 

rabuds were not right

thanks guys

Archived