Tarpon reel size

SouthernWake

I’m not sure how Daiwa reels compare in size to Shimano but I use 8000 size Shimano reels for my boat and casting rods.   Never felt too cumbersome and the rods are 7 feet to 8 feet.   I have 5000 also but it feels too small next to the others.   I’m sure it would have sufficient drag to do the job and generally anything you can get 200 yards of line on will be fine as long as you’re fishing from a boat.  

My go to setup for sight casting artificials at tarpon is a Shimano Stradic 5000 on an 8' Teramar spooled with 30 lbs. braid. Casts a hogy much further than a heavier setup. I feel like it is plenty of reel if you know how to fight a fish and can quickly chase down a fish with the boat. Now if you are floating live bait then by all means go with a 6000 or 8000 reel.

FWIW, I have a similar rod Gloomis E6X Inshore Mag Heavy - 15-40lb and paired it with a Saragosa 10,000.  The setups purpose is to stop tarpon near structure, not the best setup for making lots of casts.  I also have a more casting friendly setup with a Saragosa 5,000 on a Gloomis E6X Heavy - 10-20lb, I use this setup for beach fishing and jigging the inlets/ports.  You may consider a smaller weight option if money allows.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot of the difference is only in line capacity so my pref is look for reels with plenty of drag, carbon fiber washers and spool with quality braid. The techie so improved the days of having to use big super sized reels are long gone. Some of our 1000's have 22 pounds of drag these days. Not that those have enough cap for tarpon but the technology is good for downsizing from the old norms.