2015 PathFinder 23hps fuel gauge not accurate

lip doc

Hi  I took my 23 HPS to the shop because when my fuel reads empty there is 25--30 gal. still in it.

They said that a lot of the Pathfinder HPS are the same and they fill the new boats with gas 

and the gauge don't move till they have 25 gal gas in it. Im curious if any one else has the 

same issue. Thanks .

Thank all of you guys very much for taking time to reply to my post and the great ideas you have.

I will tackle this soon and post what i find to fix.

Fuel gauges are notorious for being in inaccurate.  While my 2000V fuel gauge works well, my 2200V is horrible.

I either use my odometer on my Yamaha gauge or I track my miles on my GPS to determine fuel usage.  If I run normally, I get 4 miles to the gallon, so after 160 miles, I fill up, and will take 38-42 gallons.

GFS 10 Garmin fuel sensor. The GFS 10 tracks fuel flow use and sends the data to your chartplotter via the Garmin CANet or NMEA 2000.This is a very accurate system for fuel consumption along with other useful data for fuel economy. I'm not sure but I think it can only be used on Yamaha engines  2007 or newer.

14 hours ago, Lowcountry Joe said:

GFS 10 Garmin fuel sensor. The GFS 10 tracks fuel flow use and sends the data to your chartplotter via the Garmin CANet or NMEA 2000.This is a very accurate system for fuel consumption along with other useful data for fuel economy. I'm not sure but I think it can only be used on Yamaha engines  2007 or newer.

You don't need the fuel sensor. Lowrance (I think) makes a plug that connects to your motor's diagnostic plug and displays info on your GPS via NMEA 2000. I put one on my boat because we often camp for 2-3 days. It's dead nuts accurate  with fuel burn on my HPX and will also display water pressure, temp, etc... Call the dudes at BOE Marine and they'll get you what you need. 

Mine does the same. Starts blinking when there was still 27 gallons left. If you go into trip setting, it will show you how many gallons used. I just checked mine and it was accurate within a gallon. You will need to reset after every fill up. 

Hard to get your mind to trust that there is still plenty of fuel when the bar is blinking empty! >:(

I recall the fuel gauges being calibrated on new boats.. My last new boat, the dealer put 55 gals of gas in the tank and set the gauge to 1/2. (The boat does have a 110 gal tank).

I wonder if the problems with inaccurate readings are due to the gauges not being calibrated, and those with accurate gauges actually had the gauges calibrated when the boats were delivered.. ?

Having said that, can the gauges be recalibrated to correct the errors ?     Anybody good with Youtube video searches for Yamaha gauges ?

ModMarc

It is very possible that the length of the sending unit is incorrect from the tank supplier, even today with the new diurnal standards and the negative affect that has on fuel capacities the issue that you are describing sounds like the tank supplier ran a series with an incorrect sending unit.  If it's to short it can't read.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, justfish said:

Are there better aftermarket sending units?  Mine just quit after I had tank pumped out. The mechanic that did it of course says ethanol ruined it not him removing it. Not sure I believe that 🙄

Moeller makes a good sending unit. 

Moeller, Livorsi marine, and WEMA all make  reed switch fuel senders. Measure the depth of the tank with a wooden dowel and order a sender 1/2 to 1 inch shorter.

The new Yamaha 6YC gauge has a fuel level calibration in the menu the tank needs to be empty to cal the gauge. There are two options a single point, empty and full,

and a Multi point from empty to full in 1/4 tank increments. The older command link gauge let you select the sensor style only,  there in no calibration.

http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/coverSensors.shtml#.WsPConKG9D8

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/senders_sfw.htm

http://moellermarine.com/product-category/fuel-accessories/fuel-senders-gauges/reed-style/

https://www.docdroid.net/y26DTq9/6yc-info-station-std-compress.pdf

Archived