Come to the marina now

Capt. Troy

FWC needs you here ASAP. You need to get here. You gotta love that phone call.

Before I left in rush hour traffic I asked if anyone is hurt. No injuries they said but FWC needs you to move your vessel before they can complete the investigation.

Thankfully, very little damage to all involved and accidents are what they are. Dual stations and not paying attention can bring big trouble quick.eM0uTJQ.jpg

1 hour ago, flatwater said:

What in the world happened? Did the shearwater jump that dock and clip the side of your boat?

I remember there wasn’t a whole lot of room between the dock and that shallow spot in front of the cleaning station there.. 

He jumped the dock and landed off the starboard side of my boat. Yep, from the cleaning station side to the other side. Took out the pedestal

and my shore power too include a couple of cleats.. It must have been that 400 HP.

My poor under powered master angler would need a running start to achieve that move.:D

I kinda of freaked when I got 10 phone calls in 5 minutes while putting salt in my water softener out back. The last one was from the FWC and I was in no mood to go down and deal with this BS. All is good and I will get the boat properly slipped tomorrow morning I think. I let the wife deal with the report. She was all smiles when she got there "not". That boat is in her name and registered to her. :ph34r:

There is a mod on here that fully understands what the above implies. If he and the FWC had known what was coming he would have left the scene.

Just Kidding on the FWC part. He knows her way to well.

I ordered a chicken sandwich from Miss Vickis and just watched.:D

1 hour ago, hurricane said:

Crazy

Here is my take and it should be a Sticky.

My personal experience is this.

Never as the vessel owner/master do you step away form the helm with a running engine. In hundreds of charters, my kids and others on a variety of boats and control configurations you should ever let this happen. I fish many elderly off of my MA and plenty of kids. Do the same off of my Rampage with a tower and dual stations.

On my flats boat at the dock I can not tell you how many times the throttle has been used as a hand hold when souls are entering/ existing my boat. One missed step and the first thing most reach for is the thing sticking up the highest. "The Throttle"  If the engine is off no big deal, if not, you know what's next.

On my offshore boat I send the controls to the tower when up there. 90% of the time those electronic controls at the lower helm are found pushed forward when I climb down. Purses/bags and rear ends knocking the shift levers forward. Though disabled while I am up top it shows me exactly what could happen.

Never leave a boat running when people are getting on and off your boat unless you are directly on the helm. That boat bag/purse, or that one guy off balance will show you how good your hole shot is.

I got in my tower one morning to board my clients. Sent the controls to the upper station before I cranked the engines to avoid the above said. Tried to crank that 1000 HP down stairs and they would not start "Thankfully". A pelican had mashed on the fly those electronic controls to the pins. He was sitting on my shift levers when I went up top to see why the ignition system was in default.

Great potential commercials for Mercury.         "Nothing stops a Mercury!"         "Mercury will go anywhere to find the fish!"         "Mercury!  Able to leap tall docks!"

"Let Mercury take you to places unknown!"             "Mercury will take you places no other outboard can!"         "Mercury Outboards.  Ready to throttle up before you are!"

10 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I thnk what actually what did it was that 36V trolling motor :)

powerfull little guyz are they ???

dc

I can just picture the guy trying to troll his way off of the dock since the 400R was high and dry. 

22 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I thnk what actually what did it was that 36V trolling motor :)

powerfull little guyz are they ???

I was thinking the same thing.  It looks like one of those fancy GPS motors and it probably took on a mind of it's own.  Another reason I'll stick with a hand tiller.:D

Glad no one was hurt.  Knowing how that area can get at times it could have been real messy fast. 

So, do we know exactly how this happened yet?   It isn't every day that you take a shortcut over a dock . . . 

And, as for the Trolling motor comments - I thought that was about the funniest part of the pic, too.  Yeah, that'll do it.  Just crank it up to 10, she'll slide right off. . . 

7 hours ago, JHinton said:

I can just picture the guy trying to troll his way off of the dock since the 400R was high and dry. 

The head of the TM was crashed into my intake vents on my boat. That is the reason it's deployed.

The entire thing was bad from the get go.

The few that know me here personally would be impressed. The owner mouthed off a little when I got there and then tried to get after my wife.

I walked off and let her and the FWC officer continue. The dude should have talked to me like he had some sense. He would have been a lot better off.

I think I heard her tell him something about compensation for having 400 HP on his rig.:D

On 3/29/2018 at 9:44 PM, Capt. Troy said:

Here is my take and it should be a Sticky.

My personal experience is this.

Never as the vessel owner/master do you step away form the helm with a running engine. In hundreds of charters, my kids and others on a variety of boats and control configurations you should ever let this happen. I fish many elderly off of my MA and plenty of kids. Do the same off of my Rampage with a tower and dual stations.

On my flats boat at the dock I can not tell you how many times the throttle has been used as a hand hold when souls are entering/ existing my boat. One missed step and the first thing most reach for is the thing sticking up the highest. "The Throttle"  If the engine is off no big deal, if not, you know what's next.

On my offshore boat I send the controls to the tower when up there. 90% of the time those electronic controls at the lower helm are found pushed forward when I climb down. Purses/bags and rear ends knocking the shift levers forward. Though disabled while I am up top it shows me exactly what could happen.

Never leave a boat running when people are getting on and off your boat unless you are directly on the helm. That boat bag/purse, or that one guy off balance will show you how good your hole shot is.

I got in my tower one morning to board my clients. Sent the controls to the upper station before I cranked the engines to avoid the above said. Tried to crank that 1000 HP down stairs and they would not start "Thankfully". A pelican had mashed on the fly those electronic controls to the pins. He was sitting on my shift levers when I went up top to see why the ignition system was in default.

Troy,

great post....makes me think about my times when I would take the kids skiing or when we'd pull the tube.

I WOULD NEVER, EVER HAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING WHEN THE ROPE OR THE KIDS WERE AROUND THE BOAT GETTING IN OR OUT FOR THE VARY REASONS YOU MENTIONED.

Any time I had a "swimmer within 50 feet of the boat", the engine came off and we'd drift to or from or' we'd pull the the skier to the boat or tube.

I've been witness to and read way too many stories of someone tripping, throwing the throttle backwards and chopping off limbs by a spinning prop.  The horror is something i cannot imagine !!!!

YES, YOU ARE 100%...ENGINE OFF WHEN PUTTING PEOPLE ON OR OFF THE VESSEL AT THE DOCK.....GREAT REMINDER....TO ALL.

DC

On 4/2/2018 at 3:37 PM, whichwaysup said:

So, do we know exactly how this happened yet?   It isn't every day that you take a shortcut over a dock . . . 

And, as for the Trolling motor comments - I thought that was about the funniest part of the pic, too.  Yeah, that'll do it.  Just crank it up to 10, she'll slide right off. . . 

Girl was climbing up into the tower. Captain had left the engine running with the tower controls hot. She knocked the boat into reverse and panicked.

Then she pinned it in forward and over the dock they went. Exactly the scenario I posted above about leaving a running boat unattended.

Archived