Thoughts on Powder Coating Casting/Poling Platform

El Hydro

Guys,

I'm working with The Outlaw to get an awesome casting platform w/cage built for my 2010 Mav 18 HPX-V.   I want to have the casting platform powder coated black, but I'm curious on everyone else's thoughts.  Cosmetically, I really like the flat black look on the platform--anyone see any cons with this approach (upkeep, spooks fish, etc)?

The platform itself will be 22" tall with a detachable cage standing 34" above the platform.

Thanks in advance for any input!

-Luke

I know others feel differently, but I'm not a fan of powder coating for use in salt water. It's pretty hard to improve on anodized aluminum as far as ease of maintenance. I do have a powder coated casting platform which came with my boat and it has held up well for 3 years now. I am pretty meticulous about washing and rinsing it after each use. I've seen many well cared-for boats with the powder coating eroding away due to corrosion forming beneath the powder coating. This is particularly prevalent at the base of the structure where the mounting pads are welded onto the pipe. This seems to be an area where salt water readily collects and does the most damage. I've heard it theorized that plain anodized aluminum is more likely to spook the fish by reflecting light like a mirror. I've been flats fishing for 30 years on skiffs with both types of platforms and I've never noticed this to be a problem.

15 hours ago, captpn said:

look into Line-X too. Now that's some tough stuff.

This.  No way I'd powder coat anything used in salt. 

My boat was freshwater boat for 12 years when I bought it. I was pleasantly surprised that the transom “plate” thing that is powder coated black still looked brand new as all my other MBC ones bubbled and peeled. After only a few uses in salt it started to bubble up...

I sand all parts , before the product goes to the powdercoater .

Then, the part gets sandblasted , before it gets powdercoated .

For powdercoating , it’s as goid as it gets .

If you like a rough feel , the Line X is indestructable .

But $$$.

I have four projects on my schedule for this week .

You are in the mix .

Pictures to follow .

Thanks 

Ralph @ AIM WELDING 🇺🇸☠️

Powder coating holds up great. On my last skiff, everything was powder coated, nav light covers, tower, grab rails, steering wheel, etc. Held up great. On our new HPS, the TTOP, grab bars, leaning post, cup and rod holders, steering wheel and the back rest for the back deck seating was all powder coated.

As long as the powder coating company is prepping the base metal correctly, the coating will last a while in saltwater conditions. Just make sure all the connections have some kind of isolator. Like where the screws go in. That is where you could get corrosion.

TJ at TNT is top notch on his powder coating. I think he only uses PPG powders.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 8:46 PM, justfish said:

This.  No way I'd powder coat anything used in salt. 

My boat was freshwater boat for 12 years when I bought it. I was pleasantly surprised that the transom “plate” thing that is powder coated black still looked brand new as all my other MBC ones bubbled and peeled. After only a few uses in salt it started to bubble up...

Agree....never ever had a PC job last...ever. 

Archived