Center Console Door Latch (SOUTHCO)??

Bonecracker

So my big center console door latch will not stay closed on my 2006 2200V so I took it off the boat and did some closer inspection. The latch was made by SouthCo https://www.boatoutfitters.com/hardware/latches?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoaPbt5iK2gIVQR6GCh0atAQ4EAAYASAAEgLyrvD_BwE  and after playing with this latch for a while I do not think the latch is the problem (it works properly). Closer inspection revealed that the original door designers drilled the 2 inch latch hole to far from the doors edge thus giving the latch very little of the casing to hold on to! I thought there would be some room for adjustment with this SouthCo latch but not really.  My only other thought would be to get another latch with a longer attachment arm or take a dermal tool and ream the hole out toward the casing! Thoughts??  

IMG_6085.jpg

IMG_6082.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg

IMG_6089.jpg

Obviously, the easiest route would be finding one that has a "longer" latching arm.   Maybe look at Gemlux if Southco doesn't have anything.  Another alternative, though, would be to route out some of the casing where the latch "catches," and "mill" out a small piece of white starboard that sticks further out to catch the latching arm, and screw that into the routed out casing.   Might be easier to ream out the two inch hole and adjust the Southco over slightly.  You might have problem with the 2 screw holes with this option, however.  Little stuff can be so aggravating!

4 hours ago, JEM said:

Obviously, the easiest route would be finding one that has a "longer" latching arm.   Maybe look at Gemlux if Southco doesn't have anything.  Another alternative, though, would be to route out some of the casing where the latch "catches," and "mill" out a small piece of white starboard that sticks further out to catch the latching arm, and screw that into the routed out casing.   Might be easier to ream out the two inch hole and adjust the Southco over slightly.  You might have problem with the 2 screw holes with this option, however.  Little stuff can be so aggravating!

I just took a very close look at the 14 year old plastic latch and it was very worn and warped. Ordered a new SS Latch and if necessary I am going to take my Dremal tool and ream it out just enough to get some more bite on the casing! Ahhh it's the little things to keep us happy!      

Archived