2000 MA Repair Thread - Stringer issue

whichwaysup

Fresh pics -  We are wrapping up the topside work and getting down to the nitty gritty now.   Gelcoat is being applied, faired, and matched to all of the seams, and she almost looks like she is back to normal.  Nonskid is next up once he gets the seam completely level.   Man, I think it is getting close!  

54300.jpeg

54302.jpeg

54292.jpeg

54294.jpeg

54296.jpeg

54298.jpeg

• Like 2

Had a chance to stop by and put eyes on the boat today, first time since the gelcoat was put on over the deck seams.  To be honest, I was a little apprehensive about this, because I know how hard it could be to ensure the deck is completely level across the seam while maintaining strength.  Wow, I am impressed.   He is still sanding and coating, but one side is perfect and he is now finishing the other.   Once the non skid goes on, I dont think I will be able to tell where we cut the deck apart.   

Really pleased, especially knowing the amount of reinforcement around the seam.    She may break apart, but it wont be where this deck was fixed.

20190710_122345.jpg

20190710_122356.jpg

20190710_122401.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Y'all probably thought I gave up, didnt you?   Nope, but it has been a few weeks of very little progress.   

We are moving forward now again.  The wiring is nearly complete.  Ended up doing new switches and a new fuse panel.  If you recall, rewiring was not in the budget at all originally, but then I decided to run new wires only, so this is now a full end-to-end rewiring job.  Everything new from switches to pumps to lights.   

60669.jpeg

60512.jpeg

60509.jpeg

60662.jpeg

60439.jpeg

60441.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Final rigging is underway.  Plans are to mount the engine next week.  Just got to get my fiberglass guy to wrap up a couple small areas.  Console is now put back together, hatches are being put on, oil tank, batteries, new fuel filter assembly, all in or going in this week.  

Every November, a bunch of buddies descend on my house for what we lovingly call "Troutfest" - we get a big fall run of big specs and we fish hard from a fleet of boats for two days, and eat, drink, and misbehave in between.   Its gonna be tight, but there is a chance I might have all the bugs worked out in time to have her join the festivities this year.  Will be nice to be a captain again . . .

Nearly 2 yrs to the day that I discovered this issue.  What a long strange trip its been . . . .

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Final rigging is underway.  Plans are to mount the engine next week.  Just got to get my fiberglass guy to wrap up a couple small areas.  Console is now put back together, hatches are being put on, oil tank, batteries, new fuel filter assembly, all in or going in this week.  

Every November, a bunch of buddies descend on my house for what we lovingly call "Troutfest" - we get a big fall run of big specs and we fish hard from a fleet of boats for two days, and eat, drink, and misbehave in between.   Its gonna be tight, but there is a chance I might have all the bugs worked out in time to have her join the festivities this year.  Will be nice to be a captain again . . .

Nearly 2 yrs to the day that I discovered this issue.  What a long strange trip its been . . . .

Hope you get out there and get to slime the decks. That is a long time. I am right there with you in the time frame of being dry, it is really tough. Will be worth it in the end. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, guys.   A few pics.  Finishing a couple low spots along the seam on the starboard side, then finishing the nonskid over it.   Also had to address a couple of voids created when the cap was cut on either side of the splashwell.    Boat is a dirty mess but will get cleaned up soon.   Going to use the old switch panel for now (new switches though), but will get something nicer soon.   

61893.jpeg

62015.jpeg

62017.jpeg

62019.jpeg

56746.jpeg

61387.jpeg

61382.jpeg

I just got a call from the shop.  They seem pretty darned pleased with themselves.  Said they wont send me pics, want me to see it in person.  Said she turned out beautifully after they washed her down.  I havent heard a grown man sound so giddy in my life.  

We should be hanging the engine tomorrow or wednesday and she should be completely finished by this weekend.   .

• Like 4

Well, I dropped off the motor and prop today and got my new TM rigged up to the battery tender plug and the quick release bracket (20 bucks says I mounted it backwards, but we'll see).   This is a pretty momentus event - they should be installing it tomorrow, then rigging the boat.   All signs point to a water test this weekend.   

Any bets on whether it will really happen?

Any bets on, if it does, that everything will actually work like it's supposed to?   

Here are the things I'm anticipating potential issues with:

1) Batteries - they weren't new two years ago when we started this project, so I'm not optimistic that all three won't need to be replaced.   I'll probably just go ahead and replace the house battery before this weekend.

2) Engine  - man, we did everything we could to make sure she was stored well, but 2 years is a long time.   Everyone says that, based on what we've done along the way, she should start right up with no issues, but I won't be happy till we're WOT and she's purring.

3)  The unknown gremlin . . . This is the one that haunts me.   You know when you put your boat in for the first time in a few months and something critical doesn't work, even though it worked last time you used it?   I can't stand that.   It's not the problems you predict that get you, it's the ones you don't see coming.

11 hours ago, Shallowminded6 said:

Just enjoy the ride and have some adult sodas ready when you get home to celebrate such a huge overcoming of events. You desserve a good celebration with the way this went. Honesty and integrity made you endure this project and head ache against what most would do.  Enjoy your victory. You earned it. 

Man, those are kind words.  Not sure I deserve em, but its certainly been an epic ride.  And yes, there will be some big boy sodas after the forst successful run.

• Like 1

Got word that the engine's been mounted and (mostly) rigged and the poling platform will indeed be put on tonight.   Still on track for completion tomorrow, with one annoying little item standing in our way.  

I had the throttle/shifter cables replaced by the first shop, and he took the cable ends off and included them in the parts he gave me when I took it to the second shop.   Somewhere between then and now, those (engine side) cable ends have mysteriously disappeared.    HOPEFULLY a local shop has them in stock.   If not, we'll be at the mercy of tracking those down and getting them installed.    

Ah, it's always the little crap!  ;)

• Like 2

Stopped by the shop today to drop off a few items.   You know those scenes in Star Wars just before some great battle where the maintenance guys are scrambling around getting the x-wing fighters ready?   Yeah, kind of looked like that, except the dilapidated x-wings were in better shape than my boat.  How in the world their going to get everything done by EOD is beyond me.   They are swearing up and down that they think they will have her done, and in fairness, a closer inspection showed that it's a mess because the major stuff is getting wrapped up.   We'll see where we land.   

On the plus side:

- Engine was mounted, missing cable ends were purchased and installed - so it is fully rigged and ready for the big test.

- Transducers were being installed, which was a low priority in the grand scheme of things, so that's probably a good sign.

- I decided that, since everything else was new and the batteries were from the original purchase, that it would be wise to proactively replace them.  Three new batteries were being delivered this a.m. at some point and installed.

- Tank was pumped yesterday and she will get 20 gallons of non-E gas today for the test.  Everything goes well and we'll fill her the rest of the way.

- All of the gelcoat/fiberglass/structural work is completely done, polished, finalized.   No loose ends there - thankfully.   

On the "loose ends list" are:

1) Bow lights are hooked up, but not sealed yet.   Should be a quick item

2) Poling platform did NOT go on last night.   I suspect they may want to test the motor before they put the platform on, which makes sense.

3)  STILL dealing with a couple of loose wires - The ground for the automatic bilge needs to be hooked up, and we are going to run a new, separate switch for the courtesy lights, which previously had been wired to the livewell switch (3 way) - which was bizarre.   Also running an extra wire up the poling platform so I can install some LEDs below it - much easier to rig equipment at night with a light shining DOWN instead of up.   Poling platform stern light also will need to be hooked up.   The switch panel is still not screwed into the console (obviously).

4)  The transom has a few holes in it from previous transducers.   I had sealed these when I bought the boat, but they need to be dealt with properly.   

5)  The crustacean well hatch still needs to be put on 

6)   The motor still needs to be tested - I'll rest a lot easier if/when they call me and say "she started right up!"   

7)   Need to install the 3 new batteries when they arrive 

8 Boat is a flipping disaster - dirty, grimy, dusty mess.   They were planning on cleaning it, but that won't happen today, for sure.   Frankly, I'd rather do it myself anyway.   When I get her back, I'll be doing a major detailing including polishing the gelcoat which has faded and oxidized a bit.   

9)  Somewhere along the way, the guides for the trailer were removed and lost.   Luckily they have some used ones from an Ameritrail trailer that was ruined and have offered them to me.  Will need to get them installed so the boat doesn't hit the fenders when I launch/load.

None of these things are super time consuming, but this could be a case of "death by a thousand nicks."   #3 and #6 are the biggest items.   With three guys working on it, I'd think there's a decent chance, but I'm not terribly optimistic that I'll be on the water tomorrow testing it as I'd hoped.   After 2 years, though, what's a few more days?