2000 MA Repair Thread - Stringer issue

whichwaysup

First of all, Happy Mother's day to all of your wives, I hope you guys are treating them right for putting up with you.  ;) I have to double down on that, personally. 

Swung by the shop today after getting an update on my boat.   He wanted a final sign-off on the wiring and plumbing before putting ht deck on.   I had stopped by Friday and saw the wiring, but he hadn't cleaned it up yet.  What a difference a day of work makes.  That bilge is clean, organized, and everything is accessible.   Very happy.  Even happier when he said that the deck is going on this week.   He had spent the better part of this morning finalizing the wiring, grinding down the underside of the deck and getting it ready to be glued.   

The closer this thing gets, the harder it is to be patient.   

Pics to follow. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

WhichWaysUp, things are looking good for you .  Happy to see everything coming together.  
I have been away for awhile due to work however, I went out yesterday with a buddy and caught some striper and it made me thing of you and everything you have gone through with the MA.  You once said that an MA on a lake is not a bad thing.  I am still wanting to get one just not the right time yet,  I recently dropped $$$ about 4K on a new motor for my boat.  Went from a 2-stroke to a 4-stroke and absolutely love it.  I'll run this for a while and then hopefully will be able to find a 18.5 or 21.  Keep us posted when she hits the water!!!!!  Looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, racerx!s

For the rest of you following this thread, there continues to be progress.   The work under the deck is tedious and pics aren't even a little bit interesting.  The shop has -  been hammered with new "little jobs" that frankly make more money for them and are quick turns.  That was part of the deal in them taking this on, and I was - and am - okay with it.   Really am expecting the deck to go on this week, but Memorial day craziness may push it out a bit more.   Getting much more proficient at surfing in the meantime, and my buddies have been keeping my fishing addiction fed.  

• Haha 1

A few pics from yesterday.   I think at this point the last tging before the deck goes on is just the new fuel line.   Looking nice and neat in that bilge area now.  You can see some before pics with the rats nest of wiring that he pulled out and the new wiring in the background in the console.   Console will still need to be tidied up and I will be having all the switches replaced later.  

51270.jpeg

51272.jpeg

51274.jpeg

51276.jpeg

51279.jpeg

51283.jpeg

51285.jpeg

51290.jpeg

• Like 1

We are still working on the not-so-sexy stuff, so here are a few pics.   Very pleased with how well he is tying up the new wiring to keep it dry, secure, and organized.   

All of the electrical components have been tested and are working properly.

Question though, looking at thiae wiring straps, I know they sre stainless, but in that moist environment, are they gping to last or am I better with all plastic?

51662.jpeg

51651.jpeg

51668.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got word today that all of the details have been buttoned down under the deck and glassing should start today through this weekend.   The new fuel line had to be re-routed from it's former location due to the new layout of  the stringers, drains, etc.  but it is now installed and secured.  The deck was put into place the final time, lined up, and screwed together in preparation for glassing.

Once the deck is back in one piece, it will be a major milestone - the boat will finally be structurally "whole" again for the first time in over a year.   I found the stringer issue in November of 2017, and work started on May 29th, 2018.    What a journey.   Once the deck is glassed back on and the non-skid done, in the worst case scenario, I could finish the project myself.  I don't want to, but there is an enormous sense of relief in knowing that it can and will be done.   

Pics to follow, but kinda more of the same.   

• Like 1

Got some additional pics today.  grinding down the seams and getting the deck ready for the non skid.   Had some delamination in a couple spots under the nonskid, found some damage underneath that we are fixing.  Have to be careful to keep the grindjng from getting into the honeycomb. 

52731.jpeg

52743.jpeg

52743.jpeg

52755.jpeg

52757.jpeg

52751.jpeg

52726.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Moderator said:

You're getting close.  Can't wait to see you back on the water !

Mod Marc

Thanks Marc!  Me too!   

Just stopped by the shop.  The deck is caulked and screwed down under the rub rail.   We duscussed the console wiring and I decided to move the house battery into the console and out of the rear starboard compartment.    He is planjing on getting the other seams in the splashwell and the dry storage box today.    

Quick update:

Got some pics yesterday, progress continues.   My last set of pics showed the work he had done to join the deck, but as you can see, he was only doing the larger surfaces and hadn't gotten down in to the channels around the hatch, or the dry storage box itself, or any of the tighter angles.    As you can imagine, big, flat surfaces go quickly, but little, curvy detail work takes much more time.   Sometimes the tedious work takes longer to prioritize (i.e., easy to find other work to do to avoid tackling tedium), so I was worried that I'd see a slow down in progress.  To my delight he shot me some more pics of the detail work done yesterday, so I'm thinking that the only separating me from harassing the local fish populations is:

1) New non-skid on repaired areas

2) Re-installation of poling platform

3) Finish hooking up wiring in console

4) Mount and re-rig engine

5) Write a significant check

But, who knows, I'm sure it can't be that simple . . .