2000 MA Repair Thread - Stringer issue

whichwaysup

23 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Unless anyone can think of a reason we wouldn't want to do this, I'm going to go ahead and have my guy extend the stringers to the transom and join them to the knees.   She'll be stronger than new.

Sounds like a good plan Gus!

17 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

I would have them add an extra set of knees tying the stringers to the transom or at least tie the existing knees to the stringers.  Also make sure they account for drainage thru or you will potentially trap water on either side.  I would also re-seal or replace all thru hulls and plumbing.  Nothing worse than having to get back in there after all that hard work is complete. 

Excellent advice!

5 hours ago, mulligan said:

While not a Maverick but Hewes, my 97 Bayfisher's did not have the stringers tied to the transom but my 05 does tie in.  On the 97 I was starting to develop some small cracking at the top of the transom.  I took it to a MBG dealer/shop where the fixed the issue and by beefing up the transom they tied the stringers to the transom. 

I have seen similar transom cracks on mid/late 90s Action Crafts ( I had one).  Boat design, materials and manufacturing methods have obviously evolved and improved over the years.  The important thing that MBG has done is to learn from past experience and continue to improve all of the above.  The transom on my Redfisher is solid as a rock, and the hull stringers rest directly on top of the trailer bunks.  Even with a heavy 4-stroke, and 7.5" setback jack plate, there is no sign of even the smallest stress crack anywhere on the hull after 2 years of frequent towing and use on the water.

• Like 1

So a few updates.  Discovered that somewhere between 2000 and 2003 models, MBG updated this design and in 2003 models forward, the stringers are tied into the transom.  Not sure if that happened in 01, 02, or 03, so if anyone has an 18 from those years and can check I would be curious.

Spoke to Brett from Parrot Boatworks who is doing this work (find him on hull truth, he does some old seacraft rebuilds on there, fun read).  He has already ground out the port stringer and reglassed it.   Apparently the trim tab screws had penetrated the hull and were allowi g water to seep into the void in the stringer, soaking the foam.  that had to be dried out and addressed before he could glass in the stringer.  He used 4 layers to cover the stringer and tab it in, see pics.  There was only one layer of cloth over the stringers before.  

We will be extending the stringers to the transom, just have to figure out how to allow water to get from the area outside the stringers to the bilge.  

The starboard stringer has no issues, but he is going to grind that down and address that the same way, since we are in there.  

More updates as I get them.  

35483.jpeg

35484.jpeg

35485.jpeg

35487.jpeg

35488.jpeg

35490.jpeg

• Like 4

Thank you for keeping this updated. I really like learning the inner workings of these boats. 

That said, I’m gonna admit I’m confused. I thought the stringer did not make it all the way to transom, so how could a trim tab screw let water into it?  Sorry if I missed something, just trying to understand how this happened..the area I circled below the “gap” between the stringer and transom, correct?  

Keep the updates coming !

1859F2AB-B743-47BD-90E5-5F16DF7F2C47.jpeg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, palmetto1 said:

Justfish - I asked the same question and apparently its where the hinge on the recessed tab is connected to the hull.  That must also be near where the stringers end.

Bingo, (and here I am going off of what Brett shared with me, havent been able to get up there to take a look yet).  Apparently the screws in question are the ones connecting the front of the trim tab, forward of the hinge, to the bottom of the hull.  Still not convinced that is the cause, but may have been a contributor.  The foam inside the box stringer was soaked.  

For all of you watching this, if you have an MA around this year, I would love to know what year they tied the stringers to the transom.  we know it was between 2000 and 2003 but curious about what specific year.  Ejerome has an 02, I asked him to check his.

Hey all, one other note.  I am posting this thread for aeveral reasons, obviously for the benefit of all the MA owners out there, but also as a record of these repairs should I ever sell the boat (a prospect I have no intention of pursuing any time soon!).  If anyone sees anything in the way we are addressing this that, based on your experience, gives you pause, dont be bashful.   Shoot me  a private message and let me know what you are thinking (please do not address publicly as that will likely lead to arguements based on opinions).  I have a great deal of confidence in Brett based on the work I've seen him do and would recommend him based on what hes done so far, but two heads are better than one and there are a lot of guys out here with some experience that can help make sure this repair makes the boat better than new.  

• Like 2

Lauren hit the nail on the head.  The knees are there for transom strength. They do nothing for the stringer.

If you read enough forums you will find transom problems with the way they are hanging these monsters on the back  without enough support into the hull and flimsy foam cored transoms.

They need to have an internal  aluminum transom core and aluminum knees going to the stringers 

• Like 2

In MBG's defense, they're so busy with today's production that they don't have a lot of time to go back into their MA archives and find the info. The MA models have been extinct for over a decade and I doubt they will be resurrected any time soon so let's give them a break! Any qualified repairer should know the best course of action to fix whichwaysup's MA.