2000 MA Repair Thread - Stringer issue

whichwaysup

Here's the cliff notes version of what's going to be addressed here - if you want to wade through the original thread from the beginning, start here:

1) I bought this boat sight unseen in November of 2016.  The boat was nearly pristine and had clearly been babied it's entire life.  Hardly a scratch on her, upgraded poling platform, great engine, and (arguably now) a very good deal.  I had a few guys from the forum check it out, didn't get a survey, and when she arrived here, she was everything I had hoped.

2)  Almost to the day, one year later, I discovered a new crack in the hull on the port side chine when running down a small leak.   This eventually revealed a much more serious problem - I had a delaminated stringer.   According to the insurance company and their surveyor, this is a manufacturing defect that caused the stringer not to fully bond to the hull.   Apparently, it was exactly because the boat had been babied all of its life and hardly used that the issue remained hidden - a little hard to swallow that theory.   How this "defect" remained completely hidden for 17 years only to manifest itself dramatically and suddenly, I can't explain.   I take the boat out 2-3 times a week, and the stinger separated more and more over time until the hull began to fail.   Thankfully, I caught it relatively quickly.   Unfortunately, insurance doesn't cover manufacturing defects, and Maverick isn't going to take responsibility for an issue they caused 17 years ago, so I'm on my own.  UPDATE:  We later discovered that the boat had a major impact on the port side, directly where the stringer delaminated.   Pics towards the end of the thread.   Good to know it wasn't a manufacturing defect. UPDATE 2:  As time has gone on, the primary suspect of the issue has become more clear.   This year model is the first with recessed trim tabs.  When MBG changed the design, they did not tie the stringers back all the way to the transom (you will see this in some of the pics).   This caused two problems that combine to create the issue.   The recessed trim tabs generally cause a trailer set up where the bunks stop short of the transom (so they don't run under the tabs).   If the trailer doesn't have multiple bunks and/or a keel roller at the transom, all of the weight in the back of the boat is on those bunks, which stop directly under where the stringers end, and short of the transom.   A few big bounces on the trailer puts massive stress on that area, and we believe that is the ultimate cause of the stringers delaminating and ultimately the hull cracking.

3)  Getting someone to take this on has proven MUCH harder than I had ever dreamed.   The first guy was recommended by the insurance company, and he was willing to fix it until the  insurance company declined the claim.  After that, he increased the original price (which I understand and was willing to pay) but shortly after went AWOL on me.     I had 2 other shops simply refuse to take it on, because none of us knew exactly how bad the issue was and how big the job would get.  Given the fact that I don't have an unlimited budget, I get their point of view.   The next shop has probably the best reputation in the area, but really wanted to do a full cap-off restoration.  Again, I understand his point of view.  Without knowing how bad things were, better to go in with a plan to address everything than to go in "cheap" and come out expensive.  Eventually, I'd love to do this, but I don't have that kind of money with 5 kids headed off to college in the next few years.   The tank (poly) and wiring are in good condition, and I don't have the money to go that big, so that wasn't an option.   I was about to bite the bullet and drive her down to Bob at Inshore Marine Specialties to get his opinion, but with 5 kids and a crazy work schedule, that trip was proving impossible.  Bob has been great throughout this process giving advice and guidance on what to consider when addressing this.  Update:  We ended up re-wiring the boat and replacing just about everything except for the tank in the end.  With 2 years of work on her, we decided to go all in.  The tank showed no signs of issues and would require the floor to be cut out to replace, so we opted to leave it alone until a replacement was necessary.   All shops agreed it had many years left since it was poly.   Fuel lines were completely replaced though.

4)  Spence/NagJuice has been pushing me to check out a guy 2 hrs north of here who he's been following on the Hull Truth.  It's taken me 5 months to finally reach out to the guy, but he's got the experience and ability to do the job right.   Some of you  have seen his build threads on The Hull Truth, where he guts old SeaCrafts and restores them.  

So, here's the plan:

1) We don't have any reason to believe that the issue is broader than the port side stringer, but we don't want to leave anything to chance.   Popping the entire cap off of a boat is not a small matter and frankly, we don't have enough reason to believe it is necessary at this point.   The plan currently is to cut the cap off just aft of the cockpit, cutting across the narrowest sections where the gunnel meets the back deck, then across and mid-way up the rear wall of the cockpit.    He will have to cut around the splashwell because the cap is likely puttied impossibly to the transom there.     Doing this will allow him to remove the rear portion of the cap and have full access to the entire stern.   

2)  He will check out the starboard stringer to see if there are any issues there, and then confirm that the issue on the port stringer is isolated to the rear, port quadrant.    If you are a praying type, say a prayer for me that it doesn't extend any further forward.  

3)  He will then cut out the stringer, fix the crack in the hull from the inside, then repair the stringer.   If there are any issues with the starboard stringer, he'll obviously address that as well.   

4)  From there, it will be a matter of replacing the rear section of the cap, glassing/reinforcing, and repairing.

If this boat were in less pristine condition, a full restoration would make sense, but the fact is, the boat looks new, the wiring is in great shape, and all of the various builders/repair shops have agreed that the tank has many many years left in it.   

Work won't start on the boat for a month or so, but I wanted to put this out there to get any reactions to the plan.   While I plan to keep the boat for a very very long time, I am having it fixed with the idea that the repair should be done in a way that only increases the confidence in the boat's structural integrity.   

The shop will be taking a ton of pics to document the repair from start to finish, which I will post here as I get them.   

Stay tuned, and feel free to PM me with any thoughts - 

Whichwaysup

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, justfish said:

Awesome your finally getting to it. 

Have you thought about replacing or atleast pulling, inspecting and coating it to prevent having to deal with it later. It seem to be an issue on quite a few MA’s around 20 years mark  

Sorry your having to go through this buddy. 

when you say "It" do you mean the fuel tank?

If so, we will definitely take a good look at her while we're in there.  Getting to it would require more cutting, but to your point, we're 3/4 of the way there.   It is a poly tank and appears to be in excellent shape (there is a large inspection port underneath the bench hatch), but we will take a closer look when we get in there.  Every boat builder I've talked to indicates that the Poly tank has a MUCH longer life span than an aluminum.   Every time they see that it is poly they say "Oh, no point in replacing that, it's got a lot of time left", even they 20-25 "total refurb" guy said that.   

I'd be curious if anyone has a different take on it though.   

• 2 months later...

Okay, we're finally there.   The shop was going to start work in May, but got pushed back to June.  We're rolling now.   As discussed, the issue seems to be relegated to the port side stringer in the back 1/3rd of the boat.   Original plan was to pull the entire cap, but after multiple discussions with multiple shops, we were strongly advised against it unless the issue extends further forward than we think.    Ended up agreeing to a plan to remove the cap from the rear deck backwards to minimize damage to the cap and maintain structural integrity of the overall hull.   Wiring and fuel tank are in great shape, so only attacking the stringer issue.   

Here's what we're looking at as of 6/8 - the issue doesn't appear to be affecting the other stringer, but we're going to bleach the entire are and take a closer look for potential issues/delam.   The rear deck is removed without issue and we're seeing the clearest view yet of the stringer delamination.   So far, no surprises.   

More updates soon!

35062.jpeg

35027.jpeg

35029.jpeg

35030.jpeg

35031.jpeg

35032.jpeg

35060.jpeg

35061.jpeg

• Like 1

Hmmm, it looks like in the area that cracked, there is a disconnect or gap between the stringers and the transom.  Maybe the space was needed to make room for the hidden trim tabs?  The attached pic of my Redfisher shows how the stringer is actually beefed up where it meets the transom, which would make that whole area more rigid (less flex).  If there is enough clearance for the top cap to still fit in afterward, you might ask the glass guys to tie it all together down there.  Just my $.02.

0609181110.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, geeviam said:

Hmmm, it looks like in the area that cracked, there is a disconnect or gap between the stringers and the transom.  Maybe the space was needed to make room for the hidden trim tabs?  The attached pic of my Redfisher shows how the stringer is actually beefed up where it meets the transom, which would make that whole area more rigid (less flex).  If there is enough clearance for the top cap to still fit in afterward, you might ask the glass guys to tie it all together down there.  Just my $.02.

0609181110.jpg

yeah, I am really surprised by that.  Maybe slyshon or skip can weigh in as to why the stringers dont go all the way to the transom

Update:  I reached out to Ray Ayres with MBC to ask about the stringer.   He seemed as confused as we are about why those stringers wouldn't go all the way back to the transom.   Here's his response:

I have no idea why they stop before the transom? Very strange, I would probably extend them if it were my boat. And or add to the knees coming off the transom as well.

Unless anyone can think of a reason we wouldn't want to do this, I'm going to go ahead and have my guy extend the stringers to the transom and join them to the knees.   She'll be stronger than new.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, whichwaysup said:

Update:  I reached out to Ray Ayres with MBC to ask about the stringer.   He seemed as confused as we are about why those stringers wouldn't go all the way back to the transom.   Here's his response:

I have no idea why they stop before the transom? Very strange, I would probably extend them if it were my boat. And or add to the knees coming off the transom as well.

Unless anyone can think of a reason we wouldn't want to do this, I'm going to go ahead and have my guy extend the stringers to the transom and join them to the knees.   She'll be stronger than new.

Yep, since you're in there better than new should always be the goal within a reasonable budget overrun...slippery slopes are my specialty9_9

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Captcalf - if you get a chance, can you check out Smurfette and see if your stringers stop short of the transom or go the whole way back?   Anyone else with an MA too?   Curious if this was the standard design or if specific to my boat and/or year.

Will do!

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they wouldn't.   I get that some flex would be good in a boat, but not that kind of situation!   Very strange - and agree, amazing that this structure apparently (generally) worked well.   I have never heard of a stringer issue on an MA except for mine (and the pre 2003 21's, but that's a different issue).   I was even more surprised by Ray's reaction.   There has to be a reason.

EDIT:  looking over my pics again, suddenly wondering if it was done to allow for drainage from the portion of the hull outside of the stringer itself.  can't think of any other good reason (but clearly they figured it out in the post 2000 versions).

Wish someone from MBC could give some history here.

It matters not why MBC did what they did back then. The MA line has been extinct for quite some time. Kind of like the Gremlin and/or Pinto models of the past. We can pontificate for days about those type of things. 

Now that you know there's a void between the stringer and the transom the only thing that matters is that your boat is fixed to be good as new! :D 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I would have them add an extra set of knees tying the stringers to the transom or at least tie the existing knees to the stringers.  Also make sure they account for drainage thru or you will potentially trap water on either side.  I would also re-seal or replace all thru hulls and plumbing.  Nothing worse than having to get back in there after all that hard work is complete. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, conocean said:

It matters not why MBC did what they did back then. The MA line has been extinct for quite some time. Kind of like the Gremlin and/or Pinto models of the past. We can pontificate for days about those type of things. 

Now that you know there's a void between the stringer and the transom the only thing that matters is that your boat is fixed to be good as new! :D 

Thanks Paul, good to know yours didnt tie in either.  As for why it matters, it only matters if they had a good reason for doing it.  I would hate to "fix" it only to create unexpected issues.  But knowing that the later models did tie the stringers in to the transom is encouraging, and knowing that models earlier than mine did not also helps me make sure this wasnt an issue with my particular boat.  

Lap it up, agree on all points.  My through hulls were leaking so good time to address, and definitely need to make sure water can drain from the outside area on either side of those stringers.

• Like 1

While not a Maverick but Hewes, my 97 Bayfisher's did not have the stringers tied to the transom but my 05 does tie in.  On the 97 I was starting to develop some small cracking at the top of the transom.  I took it to a MBG dealer/shop where the fixed the issue and by beefing up the transom they tied the stringers to the transom. 

• Like 1