F70 vs Tohatsu 90 2s vs 90 Etec

fishotherapy

My 25 y.o. 70 hp Johnson finally died, so looking to re-power 93 bonefisher.  Thinking Yamaha F70 based on wt and draft, but has anyone gone with the last 2 remaining 2strokes?  Right now Yamaha and Tohatsu have 5 yr warranties and Etec has 10.  Also what kind of performance numbers and did you lose draft?

Tohastsu is a commercial motor in Asia and even parts of Europe, they are a workhorse. They have always been available in the U.S. but in limited numbers however they are expanding and I have heard good things about them. I cannot comment on parts availability or even a dealer support network but I would definitely consider it.

I am partial to E-Tec because my brother-in-law is a factory master mechanic for Bombardier/E-Tec. Remember E-Tec 90 is only a 3 cylinder like your old 70 but obviously more H.P's.  

Let me ask you, how did the Hewes perform with the 70? I assume it was a 16 footer?

• 4 weeks later...

I would put a 90HP on the boat.  All I know about Tohatsu is many guides in the Everglades run these motors.  They are used almost everyday because of the 12 month fishing season and seem to hold up well. I know nothing about E-tec, check the weight differential for all the motors you are considering.  As you know weight is an important consideration on these boats. 

Archived