Vacuum lock

Bruce J

The small oval livewell on the front deck of my 2400TRS seems to get some sort of vacuum lock where I can’t get it open. The first time it happened I thought the latch had failed in a locked position somehow. I started to take off the hinges, and when I loosened one suddenly the lid could be opened normally. There was nothing wrong with the latch at all. I thought it was just a one-off weird thing, but now it’s “locked” again. I’m assuming it’s some sort of vacuum lock, but don’t know what to do about it. Anyone else run into this and figure out a clever solution.

i should add that I’ve only noticed this while the boat is on the lift. Otherwise I would have tried running the pump to see if I could change the pressure in there. 

• 1 month later...

Bringing this one back to life in case anyone else had this problem and has figured out another solution. I am a little reluctant to cut out a portion of the seal, although I guess that would work.

I really have to get this fixed. The darn thing just locks up completely and no amount of pulling works. I need to take off the hinge again just to open it. I’ve tried opening and closing the valve, turning the pump on and off, etc but no joy. 

Here’s a bit more information. I opened the large hatch on the deck and could pull the hose off the livewell fill tube. That finally released enough suction for me to open the livewell lid. 

The well was absolutely full of water, there  was no air gap at all which explains how I couldn’t even budge the lid before. The plug was in, of course. 

So my first question is why the well was so full and the water didn’t go out the overflow tube?  Well, on further inspection, there isn’t an overflow vent/tube in the front livewell, at least there isn’t one on mine.  Shouldn’t there be one for a variety of reasons??  Is the fill tube supposed to double somehow as an overflow??

So what I’m thinking now is to drill a small whole in the side/lip of the hatch lid so that the hole is above the gasket and could take in some air.  

Is that better or worse than cutting out some of the gasket?  Is there a more clever solution?

in addition to all of that, I guess I’ll have to be more careful to keep the seacock closed and then fill the well more slowly/carefully when I do use it so it doesn’t overfill.

any other thoughts?

Yes, I have a factory plumbed front deck oval livewell on my 2016 2400TRS. There is a drain at the bottom and a fill tube about 2/3rds of the way up on the aft side of the well, but those are the only two entry/exit points. Once the drain is plugged, there is no other way out for the water. 

Bruce, can you adapt a standpipe to the drain? This would keep the live-well from overfilling and eliminate the vacuum created by the overfilling of water. If you have access to the bottom of the live-well, you can change the thru-hull fitting to one that will accept a standpipe.

1 hour ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Bruce, can you adapt a standpipe to the drain? This would keep the live-well from overfilling and eliminate the vacuum created by the overfilling of water. If you have access to the bottom of the live-well, you can change the thru-hull fitting to one that will accept a standpipe.

That is exactly it!  I’m a freaking idiot as I already had a standpipe for it in my bag of stuff that came with the boat. But somehow that never crossed my mind. Thanks!!

Archived