Fuel Delivery Issue

dcathey

I ran into an issue this weekend and just want to make sure I’m diagnosing everything on the boat side and the engine side. Are there any screens on the pickup in an 06 22 Pathy, plastic tank. Motor is a 2011 250 SHO

When you get in and run on the first run of the day it runs totally normal. Then after that it The engine surges and bogs until it gets on plane and then runs fine. Saturday we were able to keep pumping bulb to get it going. Sunday that trick didn’t work even after replacing bulb and looking for leaks.

My list of things to check are:

fuel/water separator( it was replaced in September)

Read about a filter on another forum that can clog up and causes exactly what I’m experiencing. How hard is that thing to get to?

http://www.crowleymarine.com/yp/YD232078/fuel-injection-pump-1-vf250la-2014-250hp

Well we dug into the VST and I’d be surprised if this isn’t the culprit. You could barely blow air through it. The substance on the filter felt like a greasy substance. Ordered all 3 fuel filters for the engine and am swapping the fuel water separator just in case. If this doesn’t get it then I’m going to start inspecting the tank a little more. 

53DCC711-B834-4B25-A9EC-424564ED7D57.jpeg

7DC4784A-D0A3-4373-85C4-4EA96267F199.jpeg

That looks like a problem 😬

for future reference if your bulb is sucking flat the problem is on tank side of bulb. If it’s filling back up, it’s on motor side of it. 

Had mine flatten out on me offshore in keys a couple years  ago and was able to putt home where I  pulled pickup tube to find a piece of something still sucked up on it. Easy fix thankfully. 

I got all the filters changed out on the engine yesterday. The filter at the front of the motor was very clean, the filter on the top of VST tank was very clean as well. The only bad one was the one I posted earlier in the bottom of the VST tank. I hope to run it off of the water hose next week after work. Also I got all of my gauges running to my Simrad units while doing all of this.

That fixed it! She ran great this afternoon. I ran it hard back to the boat ramp and I touched 57.5 maxed at 5700 rpms. That’s all she has with my PT 4 blade 20. I’ve got a PT 3 blade 21p from a buddy that  going to tinker with and see what she has. I’ve been hesitant to try it bc I love the wholeshot of the 4 blade

5A55AC46-1A4B-4566-890F-D4890F237CD5.jpeg

Archived