Swordfish

nopeekipani

Well...after a lot of planning, I feel we officially broke in our 22’. Got a  130# swordfish. Glad one this size came boatside....easily handled by my buddy and I. I do have a contingency plan for a 400+ pound fish... which I know is out there...

The first one was gentle...

CB787AE0-DB70-4812-9B8F-5A09C46FDE89.thumb.jpeg.5241de83982d2022cd90678bd22ab80e.jpeg091C84BF-4385-4149-AF14-48E4A8751923.thumb.jpeg.b402e7a3f35a265730720eef720c45e5.jpeg2BCCB0C6-5673-481F-996E-168E6383E319.thumb.jpeg.e738729ac635e7006aec2a4f6138ebcc.jpeg 

You should have come back inside and caught a few trout and reds.  That would have made a cool, and I’m quite sure, one of a kind picture on the fish cleaning table and boat deck!  MBG might have hung that picture up in the lobby of their new building!  LOL

Hey JEM - we fished off Ft Lauderdale so the reds and trout would have been a challenge, lol. However, we did see quite a few small dolphin and a ton of triple tail on the ride out. We gave it our best shot, but they all seemed to be acting like ‘new moon’ fish.... not really aggressive. We also dropped a jig down under a tree we found floating and got cut off on what I assume was a wahoo. 

Maybe you could have swapped some snook and triples for trout and reds!  LOL

Back in my "offshore" days, that is the one fish that I never caught, nor fished for.  That is my biggest regret.  But way back then (1980's through 2001), the sword fishery wasn't really known about too much, at least off Georgia.  Right before I stopped offshore fishing, we were talking about doing some night time sword fishing, but we never got around to it!   I don't think I will be catching one in my Pathy 70 nm's out!  LOL

22 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Fished the Gulfstream all my life with my dad and brother's.  Never knew that Swordfish were that far south.  Wow !!!

Yeah the fishery has always been here but the daytime thing has really opened it up. They are regularly getting them off Key West and way out in the Gulf.

With our 22’ we really have to pick our days!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/9/2018 at 10:10 PM, Bloch776 said:

What did you have for plugs and a rod holder set up? Hubble plugs in the console and a zero degree in the gunwale?

Hey man - been off the forum for a while. I have my electric attached directly to the battery. Don't like the idea of drilling holes in my boat :/.  Rod holders are reinforced swivel and are maybe 15 degrees? 

Archived