Hit a rock (or several). Need advice for repair!

FROZEN

Guys,

It finally happened......ran over rocks in the channel at Homosassa’s infamous Hell Gate. I’ve got insurance and will deliver the boat to the dealer, who I trust. Like all dealers, they have their own “go to” fiberglass shop, who I don’t know. If fact, I do not know ANYTHING about proper, major fiberglass hull repairs.

So I’m asking the collective brain trust to give me some pointers on what to look for and ask for for this fix. I plan on keeping the boat for a long time, and eventually repowering. I WANT IT DONE RIGHT!

There is much more damage than the pics below represent. Some places are worse. Pretty much from forward of the CC to the packet in back. These give you a flavor, though.

Thanks in advance for for your input

!E8FC6076-96E6-4CB8-8E3D-ACBE19B8556F.jpeg.04cc939246e7511c16aa828d9451fc61.jpegEB87009B-CA36-4A8E-86FC-F9DD9D432CD3.jpeg.28b49df239d2a9afd01951a51d09f59a.jpegF8518D65-C264-4151-983B-EADA191A9103.jpeg.c16864cb635599b92d1e616c1bd7fbc6.jpeg

Doesn't look bad at all...

couple of things to be careful:

1.) ON the skeg...most likely, you'll need to have the seals on the lower unit repacked.....I had mine done when I damaged my LU when I broke the skeg before IRMA - self inflected...the total cost of the LU repack and repair by Ralph (Outlaw on forum at AMES Welding) about $750.....but, it's been perfect since......the reason I say it needs to be watched is .that's pretty close to the LU housing and it's hard not to heat the seals that close...... I would demand that they cover this under insurance....

2.) prop looks fried.........

3.) Fiberglass...no biggie...looks like just a bit of cloth and gelcoat.

Guys,

Thanks for the quick reply’s.

Took the boat in this morning. The shop’s plan is to drop the LU, disassemble, and lay out the parts for the adjuster, with their recommendations. They will probably ask for a new gear case, but the adjuster may not allow, opting for new guts, depending on findings. Seals and bearings will be replaced no matter what. The skeg will be replaced as necessary, and dye checked before and after. . The shop will underscore reliability, family out 25 miles, etc.  due to heavy impact damage. The Service manager agreed to ask for the skeg to made from good quality aluminum plate, as opposed to the sandcast replacement skegs. The prop will get an inspection, and recon by PowerTech. The motor portion seems to be handled.

As far as the fiberglass work, the Service Manager echoed your sentiments, “no biggie, no big deal”, so I’m going with the flow!

Many thanks again!

Archived