2005 2200v trolling motor

Bluewater report

Good morning. It’s time for a trolling motor update and I’m looking for something that the internet has an unlimited supply of, opinions. I’d like to be able to spot lock without cavitation in a choppy bay and a rolly Gulf of Mexico for rig fishing, bottom fishing, and fishing right among the breakers. There are quite a few options I’m going through right now. Minn Kota vs motor guide vs Rhodan? 60” shaft vs 72”, would the 72” be overkill for my boat, or will it be good to have the extra foot I. The chop? 24v vs 36v? I don’t want to leave too much on the table, but if the 24v is more than enough... bring on the opinions!

IMHO - For what it's worth - I've got a 2006 2200V PF - recently mounted a 24V 60" shaft MK Terrova on it. We were out yesterday from Port Canaveral in some sloppy conditions where it was anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2' chop. We had three people fishing in the boat - 2 in the back and me amidship. Trolling motor down deep as it could go and we did not have the prop come out of the water once that I remember. The spot lock feature on there is unbelievable - never deviated from .002 on the GPS either lat or long with the GPS set at 28.10.XXX/80.30.XXX with winds blowing anywhere from 10 - 15kts. If it's any choppier than that I doubt that we'd be anchored on a wreck anyway - way to uncomfortable to fish. Older batteries, group 27 WM specials, still delivering juice after 4 hours with the spot lock on and moving to position ourselves on different locations on the wreck.

RM

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 8:05 AM, Bluewater report said:

The chop? 24v vs 36v? I don’t want to leave too much on the table, but if the 24v is more than enough... bring on the opinions!

I had a 22 V Pathy 2005....go with the 36V you won't look back..you can fit 4 Series 31's from DEKA in the console...it's tight, but, works...use 3/4 Inch startboard to reinforce the floor along with some aluminum bolted on....

DC

The 24V I-Pilots really perform "above their weight class" if you will.  I'm on my second.  I have spot-locked all day vertical fishing for perch in 3' to 5' swells and 15+ winds with 5 men and barely registered any battery loss at all. Incredibly efficient.  The current generation I-Pilots are scary stable on spot-lock.  The first time I used my new I-Pilot on spot lock in big waves I thought my GPS stopped working because after 6 hours the track was just a dot.  Usually the only time I see any movement is when we get blindsided with a big boat wake coming from a weird direction.  The 24V systems are very capable, especially if cost, space, and weight are important factors.

With that said, If you can afford the cost, space, and weight of three TM batteries, you will not regret having a 36 volt system.  I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say "I wish I didn't have all this extra power".  It's like having too many bullets on hand for a gunfight.  Really not a thing.

Remember, you can always upgrade from 24V if the need arises.  Used current generation I-Pilots are a rarity. Somebody will jump on it.

Archived