Simrad Total Scan

Wanaflatsfish

Picked up a good deal on the NSS9 EVO2 and would like opinions on whether the Total Scan is worthwhile for the $$$.

I  understand that it's very good for side scan when looking for bait off to the sides when working around structure.....

Opinions from users appreciated on both the NSS9 and totalscan...will be using it for the FMT card.

Note: Garmin 741XS and Transducer will be for sale in the near future....send me a note if interested- dcardelli@comcast.net

dc

12 hours ago, Limitless said:

Dino:  I've got the NSS 16 evo2 on my big boat with total scan and love it.  I'm fishing it in the pan handle off shore and it really helps in finding good bottom.  If you're going to put it on your flats boat, I'm not sure of the value at all in skinny water.

I was told it was good for bait searching......

10 hours ago, blackacre said:

I too switched from Garmin to a Simrad in order to run FMT. I decided not to use Totalscan transducer because it provided little benefit for the type of fishing that I do

Blackacre,

What did you go with and where/what type catching do you do? Usual depth? Anything you would do different?

thanks!

I have a Simrad nss7 evo 2 on my MA17. Originally bought the Airmar tm150 as the TS wasn't out yet. I'm fixing to have the airmar for sale and I'm going to buy the TS just for the simple reason I don't want two transducers and the accompanying holes hanging off the back of my boat. I've been very happy with the simrad combo so far.

13 hours ago, FROZEN said:

Blackacre,

What did you go with and where/what type catching do you do? Usual depth? Anything you would do different?

thanks!

My Pathfinder 2200 had a flush mounted 5" Lowrance black and white bottom machine and a bracket mounted Garmin 740.

I updated with a flush mounted Garmin 840xs and a ram mounted Simrad GO7 XSE. I'm running the FMT chip in the Simrad. See picture below I took while testing the new electronics, prior to filling old holes and finalizing the install.

I primarily fish shallow (2'-3') for red fish and trout while using the trolling motor to fish around oyster bars, structure or shoreline. I'm using artificial lures and fan casting or sight casting.

Only thing different I would of done was go with a larger screen on the Simrad but budget was the constraining factor. 

Pathfinder electronics.JPG

Dino, when I had the PF with Structure Scan(not sure what the difference is with Total Scan) I would use a split or quad screen and look down, to the sides and use the broad band sonar as well.  The SS provided me with more detail at the 800 Hz for individual bait fish not only down but also on the sides to see a school of bait that the broadband sonar did not pick up.  I thought it was another helpful tool.  If it isn't too much $$$ or trouble, I would add it, especially if you often search for bait.  Good luck.

I have the Simrad GO9 XSE with the total scan transducer on my Hewes 18 Redfisher. In saltwater I don't use the side scan when I fish shallow at 4 to 6 feet but I find it a great advantage when fishing deep cuts and channels. I also fish in some freshwater lakes up to 200 feet in depth and I would be hard pressed to find the fish without it. Its a benefit like everything else we use in our tackle selection and its there when I need it.

Archived