Anchor pin storage

SouthernWake

I have a "stick it" bracket on the transom next to the polling platform ,and when I move I lift it up in the bracket,and out of the water and have a  velcro and rubber holder on the polling platform to keep it in place.  Works perfectly when going short distances.  When I head back I have  3 bungee cords and attach to the push pole. Once you have the set up it's simple.

On 3/18/2018 at 5:34 PM, rustyhook said:

they make miniature push pole brackets to use as anchor pin brackets as well as rod racks.

I like the push-pole/anchor-pin bracket idea to hold it in place when running.  Mine takes up a rod holder below the gunnel now.  However, I tried the vertical motor mount bracket to try hold the boat in position like a power pole would.  Maybe I wasn't using it correctly, but it wouldn't stay stuck in the mud.  In smooth water conditions, it was fine.  If there was any wave action, the anchor pin would bind and not slide up and down in the motor mount when the boat moved, constantly pulling the anchor pin out of the mud and dropping it back down.  Maybe some silicone spray like we spray on trailer bunks would have helped, but I have removed the motor mount bracket.  Now I just sink the pin in the mud, and tie off with a rope.  Works fine that way, and stays stuck.  I can see a Power Pole in my future though.  :D

The "stick it" pin is fine in the back country to hold position,but I wouldn't count on it for open water.  I would suggest a gps trolling motor with anchor positioning mode.  They work great.  I fished with a friend in a tournament last we who had one and it saved the day.  Winds were 15-20 mph and the motor kept us within 5 feet of where it was set for.  

Archived