Access to Content / Marvin Keys

THE OUTLAW

Hello

We have a house rented @ Bahia Honda in July for 10 days .

We would launch @ Dolphin Marina , in Little Torch and run the Pine Channel and cut through at a certain spot .

Since Irma more than likely changed everything , I was wondering if anyone has made that run .

Pine Channel to Content Key .

And could share the safest route to get to paradise .

🇺🇸☠️

0F5C6AAE-6061-4D04-A60C-E0437D4AB80E.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Just spent a week on Ramrod. Dolphin Marina is closed and will likely never reopen. The closest public ramp is the one on State Road 4A on Little Torch. Pine channel is clear and unchanged from the storm. Just keep an eye out for half submerged trees. There's a big one at the entrance of the Dolphin Marina channel, and others scattered around Newfound Harbor.

3 hours ago, blackacre said:

Just spent a week on Ramrod. Dolphin Marina is closed and will likely never reopen. The closest public ramp is the one on State Road 4A on Little Torch. Pine channel is clear and unchanged from the storm. Just keep an eye out for half submerged trees. There's a big one at the entrance of the Dolphin Marina channel, and others scattered around Newfound Harbor.

Wonder if those show up with the FMT mapping software?  Capt. DeWalt?

19 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Half submerged trees are not on the FMT chip or at least not on my chip dated January 2018. I did run a ton in the back and had no issues using the FMT tracks.

If you send the exact coordinates to Glen Housman with your card, he can set them on the map on your card for you. He will then update his master map and notify anyone who has one of his SD cards when he gets enough updates to make several additions. He did this with mine.

On 5/21/2018 at 2:46 PM, Big Dave said:

Ralph was looking at it when he was making my bars....I don't know if he was able to find what he was looking for....but, I have not had a chance to look on the chart....too much travelling.

dc

After two weeks of great tarpon fishing, The tarpon disappeared at the Bahia Honda bridge this week so I decided to take my bride to Marvin Key for the first time.

I launched at Blimp Rd ramp on Cudjoe Key.  It's a little shallow  but it will work.  I have a HDS 12 with a Navionics chip.  I decided to run the channel to the Gulf and then work my way back into Marvin Key.  Between Navionics and looking at the water we made it into Marvin Key without too much problem.

I decided to come back through Turkey Basin, that was much more challenging, but we made it, thanks to my jack plate.

Hopefully the FMT software will help.

7 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

After two weeks of great tarpon fishing, The tarpon disappeared at the Bahia Honda bridge this week so I decided to take my bride to Marvin Key for the first time.

I launched at Blimp Rd ramp on Cudjoe Key.  It's a little shallow  but it will work.  I have a HDS 12 with a Navionics chip.  I decided to run the channel to the Gulf and then work my way back into Marvin Key.  Between Navionics and looking at the water we made it into Marvin Key without too much problem.

I decided to come back through Turkey Basin, that was much more challenging, but we made it, thanks to my jack plate.

Hopefully the FMT software will help.

The entire place that is the lower keys is totally wired on FMT.  No issue going anywhere from anywhere.  It shows every ingress egress at Marvin.

With respect to tree branches and torn away mangroves it was not clear how many if any would be removed after the Storm and if they were to be removed when that would happen.  Lots of them were blown into deeper channels and up on flats along with all kinds of other debris and boats.  Thus, before making permanent edits to our maps we elected to wait until now to decide how to handle it.   Most of the boats and man made debris has been removed but lots of trees remain.   Some larger wrecks remain including the paddle boat wreck in the middle of Niles Channel

Based on our recent surveys in the lower keys, it appears likely many of these larger obstacles are likely to remain in their current positions possibly for years.  These are mostly comprised of large mangroves torn away from adjacent keys and they have large root systems and very large branches.  They surely would cause a lot of damage if your run into one.   We have marked dozens of them between Summerland Key and East Bahia Honda key and many are as large as some boats and would require heavy equipment to remove or tow away.    So, we have updated our map with all of those we have found and all new sales starting this week will have those updates included.   They were all marked to the foot with Danger symbols.  They could move a little bit but its unlikely they will move far unless another storm passes by.   Existing customers who plan to travel the lower keys area can get their map updated if they like.    FMT will remain in the Lower Keys location through June if you would like to update your map in person.

What is this FMT card y'all are talking about. I'm about to go down Friday for our annual trip. How much is this chip? What does it show? And how much? If replying to these is against the rules can someone PM me please?  It sounds like something that would help this ol South Carolina boy .  One more thing, will it work on a Gen 1 lowrance hds?

18 hours ago, localangler said:

What is this FMT card y'all are talking about. I'm about to go down Friday for our annual trip. How much is this chip? What does it show? And how much? If replying to these is against the rules can someone PM me please?  It sounds like something that would help this ol South Carolina boy .  One more thing, will it work on a Gen 1 lowrance hds?

FMT = Florida Marine Tracks. I'm sure Glen can answer in greater detail. It is essentially a chip with navigable tracks overlaid on satellite images. https://floridamarinetracks.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Also .

I was thinking of upgrading my unit , to be able to have the FMT chip .

When Dino brought his boat in , I spent a few hrsgoing over all of the lower Keys , in great detail .

I was able toget tracks to Marvin and Mud Key area etc .

My opinion , unless there is a way to tune down the wording that appears on the screen , when you start to zoom out , even a little bit , it renders the chart useless .

Way to much info on the screen .

I would like to zoom out a mile or two , then start zooming in , as you get closer .

I’m sure it can be done , but I was unfamiliar with Dino’s unit.

Guess I will stick to the proven method od reading the water .

KEEP THE INFO COMING THANKS

🇺🇸☠️

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived