Yami F150 Service

rubble

I’m not putting many hours on my F150 at all but want to still service engine as needed.   Have changed oul and filters at the normal hour intervals but it is sitting a lot. Should I consider time intervals as well?  

What are the most important items to do on a regular basis?  Oil/filter, fuel filter, plugs, other ?

Any good DIY tutorials on changing oil and filter?

what is normal shelf life for engine oil in original, unopenned container?

X2 on what BernieNC said.  

The unopened oil is good for years. Look on You Tube for changing oil and lower gear case oil. Both are simple to do. Our local Yamaha dealer sells a kit for the F150 that has oil / filters / etc. Also the dealer sells the lower gear case oil, and the clear tube with adapter for the refill. Be sure to look it up on You Tube for changing oil, etc on Yamaha F150. Mine is a 2009 F150. 

5 hours ago, rubble said:

What are the most important items to do on a regular basis?  Oil/filter, fuel filter, plugs, other ?

Any good DIY tutorials on changing oil and filter?

Rubble

I had the F150 and i would change out every 75-100 hrs the engine oil and lower unit oil...You should be running the engine every weekend as I do, for 15 -20 min, turn the helm, trim up and down, put it in gear, forward, backward, etc.....to move the cables, plugs will last 200 hrs easy....but, for a few $$$ you can do it oil change...dont' forget to do the proper gap.....

For DIY - I bought the kit, but, also, changed out the RACOR every 50-75 hours ...there is an on-engine filter as well...easy to change out...hit the zerks on a regular basis you can change out the thermostat every year as well....or take it off can check it.....l

yes, many DIY info on Youtube.....enjoy...

dc

What do you mean by Proper gap for plugs?  Plugs should come with proper gap if getting the yami recommended plugs, correct?  

What grease in the zerks?  Can one use same as trailer hubs?

I have a racor but have always used the Yami per dealer recommendation so racor stays in boat as a spare. Any need to move to the racor?  

10 hours ago, rubble said:

What do you mean by Proper gap for plugs?  Plugs should come with proper gap if getting the yami recommended plugs, correct?  

NO they don't....you need a simple tool to insure you have the correct gap....

What grease in the zerks?  Can one use same as trailer hubs?

Yes, but you have a series of zerk's around your engine on the tilt etc. that need to be greased on a regular basis...get a F150 manual and they have all the loctions....I have a small flexible hose grease gun as they are sometimes difficult to get the fitting attached....as well, i have a couple of spares as they will break off.....ask why I know this ?

I have a racor but have always used the Yami per dealer recommendation so racor stays in boat as a spare. Any need to move to the racor?  

I am the opposite.....i run a RACOR on my engine with big blue as a spare in the event you get massive sludge etc.  I like the RACOR as you can see any debris etc in the bowl vs the Big Blue which is fully closed....

dc

This is the question that always pops up:

What is the best fuel additive to use?  Is it necessary to use Ring Free with every tank of fuel?  Is there an additice that does the same and more to avoid multiple additives?

have read that some just end up gelling up in the tank and ate useless. 

What is the best process/products to use if using non-corn fuel or in occasions when you have to use corn fuel?

http://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/5468.htm

These are the guys I use for all my parts and snake oil (ring-free & ethanol treatment) free shipping over $149 which is super easy to do buying genuine Yamaha stuff. I use ring-free with every drop of fuel in my F115. They really don't burn too much gas so its not a huge deal once you get over the initial purchase price. Another maintenance item I highly recommend is to pull and inspect the water pump impeller once a year, regardless of hours- mainly to make sure it all comes apart when you need to get in there and change something. I keep a new impeller on hand (I replace it every other year) and just buy the O-rings and washers that get wrecked pulling the water pump housing apart.

1 hour ago, Donh said:

Don’t forget to take the prop off , clean and grease the shaft. If not done on schedule and it’s corroded you don’t want to watch how a shop takes it off.

dh

Oh yeah, do this every 50 hours when you do the fuel/water separator. 

Archived