Securing Hewes bench cushion

Waterguy

I was trying to think of possible ways to secure the bench seat cushion on our Hewes 18. It was sliding around a few times while sitting on it and one time trailering it almost came off. So I added some extra snaps along the front but the back still slides around and popped two of the snaps off the cushion. No big deal I fixed them but I was trying to think of an idea to secure to back of the cushion. On one of our other boats they sewed in strips of elastic with a snap in the middle. Worked good. Just wondering if anyone has tried something else.

I don't like the way my cushion is secured either.  It's low cost for sure.  Any time I lift the cushion to get into the compartment, the four cushion snaps come loose and it falls on the floor.  I don't know the brand, but I like the setup with the tough nylon piece (like a long straw), the length of the cushion that slides into a metal open-sided tube mounted to the boat, also the length of the cushion.  Going to be changing to that type soon.

5 hours ago, geeviam said:

I don't like the way my cushion is secured either.  It's low cost for sure.  Any time I lift the cushion to get into the compartment, the four cushion snaps come loose and it falls on the floor.  I don't know the brand, but I like the setup with the tough nylon piece (like a long straw), the length of the cushion that slides into a metal open-sided tube mounted to the boat, also the length of the cushion.  Going to be changing to that type soon.

Yea we are looking into doing that to ours too. Birdsall does it for bigger boats. As far as using Velcro on back the only issue I see is if you need to get in the hatch but it would probably do the job. I was gonna try to wrap the long strips all the way around but that would pull on the front flap snap and won’t work. Probably will get someone to see in some strips and snaps on back. Another type of app would be to see in a loop on each end then use a Velcro strip thru the loop and then go around the backrest post? Probably work too but I can’t sew for nada.

not familiar with the hewes set up but my HB had these:

image.png.85ae20153f4535bee737e728bbae294d.png

The cushion had grommets that worked with this style fastener. The HB cap had a small overhang from the bulkhead so these posts were facing down to the floor. The front flap of vinyl wrapped under the lip and connected. Held very well. hopefully this makes sense

Archived